3's a couple..2's a crowd

Guest x2minusblndfold

Guest x2minusblndfold
ok, i heard somewhere that u cannot put 2 pecula clown fish together unless they are a breeding pair, but u can have 3 together. well i kinda bought 3 about 2 weeks ago, and unfortunatly, i lost one..so now i have 2 clowns..but their doing perfectly fine together, and wont leave eachothers sides..does that mean that they are a breeding pair??..and will they be too aggressive if i get a another kind of fish?

I think in the world of clownfish, 2 is a good number to go with.  I bought two juvenile Ocellaris and they paired up rather quickly.  I think this is how most people get their mated pairs if they don't buy them mated... they buy two small juveniles.  I got one that was slighly larger than the other since I believed this would tilt the scales a bit.  I think if they are existing closely and peaceably together, that is a good sign they may have paired up.  I watched my two go through some mini scuffles and clown wiggle dances for a few days.  Now they stay close together and even sleep together.    

Three fish IMHO would only extend the power struggle for top dog, (the female), second fiddle (the male) and finally the left over third wheel.  Three or more can exist I think, but it makes the situation even more complicated as I already said.  To complicate things even more at some point the third wheel might try to make a move in the hierarchy which I believe would lead to a death... most likely the odd "person" out.

;) My $.02

Guest x2minusblndfold
k thnx, that realy clears up alot of the confusion i had..As far as other tank mates, would they welcome a newcomer such as, a goby, blennie, or tang? or should i just stay away from the idea?

I don't like using selection for a way of establishing a pair- one fish ends up dead out of the 3.  Start with 2 juveniles (captive from ORA- your fish store should carry them).  One will eventually become the dominant female.  You also get to watch them grow and go through all sorts of ritualistic behaviors along the way.