Anenome(however u spell it) trouble

Guest x2minusblndfold

Guest x2minusblndfold
I have a very sad long tenticled Anenome. I had it for about a month now and it wont eat Im trying to feed it frozen plankton. It used to eat it, but after like a week..he just stopped..and now it isnt looking too healthy. Its color isnt as bright when i bought it, and its halfway inside out all the time..What should i do???! :(

Guest DANMOQUIN
Well there could be many reasons for this change. Firstly, not all anemones eat. Second your lighting may be insufficient. What do you have for lighting? Do you use actinic 03 blues? Also what do you add for supplements? I may not be able to help you much, but with these facts others may be able to help.

Frozen plankton may be too small for this guy.

Try frozen shrimp, Formula One cubes or such like.  Anemones can eat whole fish in the wild, so I would suspect this guy may be starving on the diet you've been giving it.

Lighting and water quality also matter a lot here.  What is your set up? How long has it been running?

s

Another tip.

Too bright a color means it is not healthy.

Are anemones not supposed to be pale due to the

presence of the zoonathella??

I feed my BTA cut piece of frozen shrimp. I get 2

for around 35cents and it lasts me about over a month.

I feed 1 piece a week.

The BTA is happy, but just the oscellaris havn't found it

yet.

-krish

Guest x2minusblndfold

For Lighting, i have 110 watts of 10,000k daylight bulbs, and actinic blue lighting.For suplements, im adding reef complete twice a week.

My setup is a 55 gal reef, and LOTS of liverock.I have growing mushrooms and polyps. and several inverts. I will try frozen shrimp, thanx

Insufficient lighting for a LTA.  LTA's really need MH lights.  BTA's might survive under PC lights - as long as you feed them.  

Best for animal is to provide lots of light.

silversides & shrimp are good foods to feed 1 time a week.

HTH

Craig

I agree with Craig, your lighting is a bit weak for a reef tank.  I would certainly recommend you look at more lighting.

That said, I'm a diver and have seen most of the animals you discuss at 50-100' depth, which is not a lot of light down there.

My reef (90G, which is 48"Lx18"Wx24"tall) has 2 250W MH and 2 96W PC.

I still think the poor guy was starving on plankton (which is a vegetarian diet) when they are carnivores as a rule (frozen fish guts, etc.).

Be aware that keeping an anemone is a fairly advanced animal.  Most of us wait for a well established tank runnining for a year or more before we attempt them.  They do have mouths and animals with mouths should be target fed with live foods.

Good Luck!  Hope we can help you get this animal back to good health quickly.

s

Check out our reading list...

Beginner to advanced reading list

You really need this book:

"Clownfishes" - Joyce Wilkerson

It is about 1/3 down on the first post.  Excellent reference on Clownfishes and it covers hosting anemones rather well.

I think Calfo's book also has a good section on anemones...

"Marine Invertabrates" - Anthony Calfo and Bob Fenner

One thing no one asked- how deep is your substrate?   They are sand burrowing anenomes- 4-6 inches deep sand at least.  Chunky food as suggested, a soak in a couple drops of selcon prior to feeding (like when thawing in a small cup of tank water) would also be recommended.  Given the light is on the low side, try feeding daily- even shave up the shrimp just to get it to eat.  Then when it is accepting larger portions you can cut back to a couple times per week.  Food will be critical here.

Guest DANMOQUIN
His substrate is no more then 2 inches, the anemone is on live rock though, higher up in the tank. Maybe 7 or 8 inches from the light,