It started as a problem with water flow

Malawi

And is starting to get a bit more interesting. I'm curious to see if this has happened with anyone else, since I'm still new to the hobby.

On Wednesday I had a problem with the back chambers not filling up. A piece of my filter floss had gotten wedged under the outflow from chamber 1, and in the process of removing it, something nailed a finger. Hurt when it happened, and for a couple hours after, and left three or four raised bumps. It didn't bother me after that day, so I thought it was just an irritation from something in that chamber and that it had gone away. The water flow problem was fixed, too.

I didn't think anything else of it until this morning, when I woke up with joint pain and swelling in that finger. Looks like I'll call my doctor tomorrow unless it gets better tonight, though I have no idea what it is that could've caused it. There's no large critters in my refugium, unless my chemi-pure suddenly grew teeth. Maybe some sort of invertibrate, and now it's getting infected? That's what it seems like to me. My fish all swear they didn't do it. I'll see what happens tonight and update this tomorrow. Going to the hockey game, so if I do have to mess around with the doctor's office, I hope it's done with in the morning. :cool:

-Rachel

Atapsia? Bristleworm?

My 3 finger tips are like that right now. 1 from bristleworms..2 from atapsia I'm sure when I was cleaning out algae from the overflow.

It's swollen, itching like H-E-double hockey sticks.. and rasied bumps... gloves for me next time :)

+ 1

Do you have a fuge set up back there?

Atapsia? Bristleworm?

My 3 finger tips are like that right now. 1 from bristleworms..2 from atapsia I'm sure when I was cleaning out algae from the overflow.

It's swollen, itching like H-E-double hockey sticks.. and rasied bumps... gloves for me next time :)

Yup, I do. Macroalgae is in chamber 1 and I do have aiptasia in the tank. It's been an ongoing battle since I got the rock. My peppermint shrimp are all in the main part of the tank. If it is an aptasia, I'll be very tempted to drop a shrimp in the back. I wouldn't do it, of course, but the temptation would be there. Bristleworms are also a possibility. They're the long reddish sort, right? I spotted those when the live rocks were out of the water before being transferred into my tank.

Lesson learned- if that's what it is, then I won't bother with the doc unless it gets worse, and I'll wear gloves the next time.

I've been 'stung' by something in my little 24-gallon tank, but never in the bigger ones. Never did figure out what got me.

bob

Be careful that you're not having an allergic reaction. I would soak it in hot water and vinegar to help dissolve anything that might have made its way into your skin. If that doesn't help, I would go to the doctor and see if they can remove anything. My guess is that you've got some spines that are stuck into the skin and are causing continuing irritation.