Kole appears to be in trouble

Lunker

:why: Need ID

No new fish for at least 2 months and no new frags place in the tank for a couple of weeks. I did re-aquascape my tank without adding anything new to it three days ago. Is this nothing more than stress from my aquascaping or whatever? The blemishes that you see is located on both sides on this fish. He is acting and eating as normal.

No other fish seems to have a problem.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

I had a tang that looked just like that. My guess is that another tang in the tank gave him a couple of hits. When this happened to my Naso tang, I added a couple of drops of Lugol's solutions and he cleared up by the next day. My sail fin loves to joust with my Naso.

Bruce

:why: Need ID

No new fish for at least 2 months and no new frags place in the tank for a couple of weeks. I did re-aquascape my tank without adding anything new to it three days ago. Is this nothing more than stress from my aquascaping or whatever? The blemishes that you see is located on both sides on this fish. He is acting and eating as normal.

No other fish seems to have a problem.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

I agree with Bruce. Also when you re-aquascape tangs tend to get stressed and can often hit or rub against things when the aquascaping is different.

Thanks for the comments guys. As I'm still very new to the hobby (15 months) my worse fear was some sort of disease.

So I gather that no one thinks that I should try to remove him from the tank for now. Getting him out would be quite the task.

Agreed... Tangs (Surgeonfish - for a reason!) have sharp blades near the tail that stick out when they want them to. They use these to attack other fish that enter their territory. Some are better at it than others. My yellow tang really roughed up the purple tang - almost to the point where I was about to go fishing; don't want a $20 fish killing a $100 fish! Eventually, the purple tang took a 'territory', and learned to hide in his rocks, and leave only his tail sticking out to smack the yellow tang with if it intruded. Now that my hippo tang is twice the size of either of them - they don't fight so much; they just watch out for Dorie!

bob

Agreed... Tangs (Surgeonfish - for a reason!) have sharp blades near the tail that stick out when they want them to. They use these to attack other fish that enter their territory. Some are better at it than others. My yellow tang really roughed up the purple tang - almost to the point where I was about to go fishing; don't want a $20 fish killing a $100 fish! Eventually, the purple tang took a 'territory', and learned to hide in his rocks, and leave only his tail sticking out to smack the yellow tang with if it intruded. Now that my hippo tang is twice the size of either of them - they don't fight so much; they just watch out for Dorie!

bob

Bob,

That definitely cross my mind but I hadn't seen my Yellow tang ever go after the Kole. Although the Yellow has gone after my smaller Hippo tang. I guess the re-aquascapping has created a new turf struggle. I appreciate you all looking at the pictures.

Ron

Doesn't look like the marks I see on my tangs when they box each other, looks more like something tried to bite it (Hunter's joke rings a bit true to me given these are on both sides of the fish). The fish itself doesn't look stressed, so just like Doug said, give it time and feed it good food. Mine usually display their marks from sparring for a few days and then it goes away.

Had a similar brown mark on my powder blue once, only on one side though. It went away on its own. Have a sailfin too so may just be boxing for nori! Good luck and hope he gets better, otherwise nice looking fish.

The Kole is getting better and the injuries appear to be healing. It has never acted like that there was anthing wrong with it during this past week. I have feed twice a day and have included the garlic supplement by Brightwell in their afternoon feedings.

Thanks for the advice and support from eveyone.

I have a starry or snow flake blennie that takes hunk out of my blue lined rabbit fish on a regular basis. The blennie makes a nice round hole. These blennies are supposed to be peaceful. Not this guy!

What fish are in your tank?

I have a starry or snow flake blennie that takes hunk out of my blue lined rabbit fish on a regular basis. The blennie makes a nice round hole. These blennies are supposed to be peaceful. Not this guy!

What fish are in your tank?

I have the following:

Lawnmower blennie

Pacific Blue Tang

Kole Tang

Yellow Tang

4 Anthias

Copperband Angel

4 blue Cromies

Small Yellow Gobie

The Blennie was occasionally chased by the Kole. Maybe be decided for a little revenge. :fish: