Biting the hand that feeds you.

Bob

I am not sure if it is increased temperature (chiller problems) that causes increased metabolism..... but, my pink tail trigger who is about 5.5 inches and normally docile took a fair sized chunk out of my thumb enough to bleed last night while I was removing previous days nori clips. Later I noticed my Flame Angel was 3/4 eaten. (again I suspect the Trigger). Has anyone else had a trigger turn agressive? My Hippo keeps him in line. I was just suprised by the Pink Tail Triggers actions. :ohmy:

Nope. My blennie even beats on my blue jaw trigger from time to time. Lol. I'm going to sell my trigger though.

Don't keep triggers but,

do a Leishman,

take a piece of pvc about 3" long, drill a hole in it to tie fishing line, and wrap nori aound it securing with a rubber band.

Drop in tank.

all triggers are aggressive from time to time - my picasso killed a pakistani butterfly i tried to introduce, and I believe killed my flame angel. Haven't had any bites yet, but I've seen pictures ... I'm sure it's only a matter of time before either the trigger or puffer gets overzealous and takes a bite of me.

I am not sure if it is increased temperature (chiller problems) that causes increased metabolism..... but, my pink tail trigger who is about 5.5 inches and normally docile took a fair sized chunk out of my thumb enough to bleed last night while I was removing previous days nori clips. Later I noticed my Flame Angel was 3/4 eaten. (again I suspect the Trigger). Has anyone else had a trigger turn aggressive? My Hippo keeps him in line. I was just surprised by the Pink Tail Triggers actions. :ohmy:

I had a Huma Huma trigger fish for almost two years and he would always nip at my fingers and hands. Of course, I hand fed the trigger every night so I don't blame the fish. However, I have seen a Clown Trigger turn from a perfectly normal and social creature to removing a good chunk out of my pinky because my hand was too close at feeding time.

I would second temperature change to increased aggression. In the warmer months, ie when we were too cheap to turn the air on, and the temp would increase and the Huma Huma would end up "hitting" for food harder and harassing my hand more.

I had a Huma Huma trigger fish for almost two years and he would always nip at my fingers and hands. Of course, I hand fed the trigger every night so I don't blame the fish. However, I have seen a Clown Trigger turn from a perfectly normal and social creature to removing a good chunk out of my pinky because my hand was too close at feeding time.

I would second temperature change to increased aggression. In the warmer months, ie when we were too cheap to turn the air on, and the temp would increase and the Huma Huma would end up "hitting" for food harder and harassing my hand more.

Thanks for confirming the increase in temp = increase agression etc. Besides the Flame Angel, I am now also missing my fire shrimp, a neon goby and a mandaran. All these creatures have been together for more than two years and had never been bothered before. This guy is constantly paceing and always seem ravenous. It will be nice to have him "CHILL" once I get my new chiller on line!!

PS..... if you have a Current/Tower chiller; consider your self F___ed! They have stopped manufacturing and selling replacement probes and have discontinued the line. Color me not happy with CURRENT!

Thanks for confirming the increase in temp = increase agression etc. Besides the Flame Angel, I am now also missing my fire shrimp, a neon goby and a mandaran. All these creatures have been together for more than two years and had never been bothered before. This guy is constantly paceing and always seem ravenous. It will be nice to have him "CHILL" once I get my new chiller on line!!

PS..... if you have a Current/Tower chiller; consider your self F___ed! They have stopped manufacturing and selling replacement probes and have discontinued the line. Color me not happy with CURRENT!

Bob,

If the chiller itself still works and only the controller is broken, you could "upgrade" to a reef controller and rewire the chiller - or just get a 3rd party controller for the chiller (I think mine is Ranco?) and wire it in. Won't be as clean and pretty as what you have, but you shouldn't have to buy a whole new chiller.