Kalkwasser Overload

Lunker

I was re-aquascaping the tank by first taking out some rock and some of the corals. I wasn't thinking about my ATO. Well doing this obviously got my Osmolator (ATO) going. That really isn't all that bad but my ATO goes through my Kalkwasser stirrer. Before I realized what was going on my tank is now super cloudy. I assuming it is kalk overload versus just the messing up of my substrate.

How much damage do you think I my have created. I guess I just have to wait it out. I feel really stupid and still no sure what the consequence will be.

Any suggestion?

test your ph....if its below (or close to) 8.6 then you shouldn't need to take action. If its higher than that you can do a large water change, or if you don't have water already prepared you can add distilled white vinegar (I forget how much much you add but there should be a formula/calculator on this site)

Forgot this was pinned....

Kalk Overdose

nelson_crn,

Thanks for providing me with this pin. My ph hasn't changed from it's normal 8.3 to 8.4. It is definitely not 8.6. I will continue to monitor and in the meantime I've got my RO/DI unit running.

Again, many thanks for the pinned information.

PS. Ron - Retired USAF

Unless you exchange all your water, you will not help.

I'd suggest you only add about the qty of kalk you expect to use each week when you re load your reactor.

You will minimize any potential problem by doing so.

Unless you exchange all your water, you will not help.

I'd suggest you only add about the qty of kalk you expect to use each week when you re load your reactor.

You will minimize any potential problem by doing so.

Chip,

That is actually what I do and I had just cleaned out my Kalk stirrer and reloaded for the week on Friday afternoon. My ATO going through the stirrer was on for about 20 min. This happen at 3:30 today and the tank is now showing signs of clearing a bit. That pinned post and my current ph of abt 8.3 has relaxed me a bit. Thanks