Propagating Blastos

Nate

I really like Blastomussa Wellsi and I know that it is one of the slowest growing corals in the hobby. What I am wondering is if anyone has ever documented blastos growth. Or if there are any tricks to get them to spread. How do they grow? Do the polyps divide? I have a 3 polyp frag and it hasn't grown any new polyps since I got it over a year ago.

I really like Blastomussa Wellsi and I know that it is one of the slowest growing corals in the hobby. What I am wondering is if anyone has ever documented blastos growth. Or if there are any tricks to get them to spread. How do they grow? Do the polyps divide? I have a 3 polyp frag and it hasn't grown any new polyps since I got it over a year ago.

Nate, I saw at your tank, that is placed on top.

Mine is at the bottom in a medium flow. I got 1 polyp and very fast grow to 17.

The orange digitata you gave-me is very pretty and healthy.

Thanks so much.

Angel

Doesn't sound like Blastomussa.

Blastomussa are found deep in the ocean in low to moderate light as well as low to moderate flow. It makes sense that if placed correctly in the home aquarium it would do well. Sounds like you've placed it right. They can be acclimated to stronger lighting, but I don't know why anyone would want to do that since this is not natural for this coral. How long have you had yours angel? It sounds very nice.

Nate, I saw at your tank, that is placed on top.

The orange digitata you gave-me is very pretty and healthy.

Thanks so much.

Angel

I've never documented growth, nor do I have any tricks on getting them to spread. I will say that my merlettis seem to grow faster than wellsi's. Not sure why. Blastos basically "bud off" like an acan. Babies form around the mother heads. I target feed both species with mysis occasionally. Mine tend to respond well and seem to grow more rapidly with feeding. I keep mine low in moderate flow as well.

I am in the same boat as you Nate. I bought one polyp of a Wellsi and it has not multiplied yet. I have it in low to moderate light and and the same for water movement. It is always open and is very pretty. All my other corals grow pretty fast. Guess i will just have to wait and see.