Power Outage

sen5241b

Power went out in Arlington the other day. My 100 watt auto power inverter would NOT run my 40 watt water pump let alone my 150 watt heater. I did have enough power for my air pump and 50 watt heater. How much good do air pumps do when the power goes out?

Battery pumps help provide both water circulation and gas exchange. The circulation is the key thing. Corals require the water movement for waste removal and gas exchange since they are not able to pump water like a fish does over its gills. Corals can suffocate in sagnate water.

I believe it also depends on how your tank is set up. A DSB will require more 02 than a BB. But Like Coral Hind said, your main goal is water movement and some sort of gas exchange.

I'm thinking simple air pumps might help but they are not going to be enough.

Maybe hook up a low wattage pump in tank and heater only to auto inverter (100 to 150 watts) --but you'd have to home when the power goes out.

You could also try getting a beefier power inverter... 100W is nothing. I have to look at the specs of mine, but I can run a Koriala (sp?) pump, air pump and a MaxiJet. However, the 150W heater will not work.

Edited by magnetic1