Considering new media reactor

russell_wiley

I have a 34 gallon solana. I want to run carbon & gfo. Any suggestions on what would work good for this setup?

Thanks,

Russ

I've been pretty happy with the BRS dual reactor. It's powered by a maxi-jet 1200 which you can easily hide in that tank, and it *may* hang on the back of the tank - you'll need to check. If not, it will mount on the wall behind/beside the tank:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-P...oduct_info.html

I've been pretty happy with the BRS dual reactor. It's powered by a maxi-jet 1200 which you can easily hide in that tank, and it *may* hang on the back of the tank - you'll need to check. If not, it will mount on the wall behind/beside the tank:

Hard to tell from the pics - how well does it move the media?

Hard to tell from the pics - how well does it move the media?

I don't usually notice the media actually moving, but it's in a canister just like the DI resin in the RO unit, so the water is forced through the media. I think this negates the need for the media to physically move around?

rik, the gfo is tumbling well, approximately what is said should be used to keep overall binding of the gfo down.

probably easy to diy, if anyone wanted to, they are using john guest 1/2 connectors and a sediment filter unit with an insert. as to whether that insert is available at lowes /hd idk, but the housing/fittings are generally. so might be cheaper to kit it.

either way its at least as good of a deal as the tlf phos reactors. and looks easier to maintain then my tlf reactor.

Edited by Jager

+1

I have that same Dual Reactor. I love it. It is very easy to replace GFO and carbon since the canisters are RO/DI canisters. It does require a maxi-jet 1200 which I think is overkill. I have to cut it back almost 75% to get the GFO to tumble the way it should.

Edited by Nate

+1 I have the dual reactor and have been very happy with it (especially for the $$$!). The GFO chamber will create a lot of movement within the media depending on how much gfo/flow you have of course, but the carbon is filled in a manner that deosn't allow if to move. Like L8 said, watch the BRS video when you have a chance...it should answer most (if not all) of your answers.

Cody

Thanks to all of you. You have been very helpful. I have an old RO filter. Could I just buy the inserts they sell & modify it to accept a maxijet? Seems like it is just an RO filter with something different in the canisters. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks,

Russ

Thanks to all of you. You have been very helpful. I have an old RO filter. Could I just buy the inserts they sell & modify it to accept a maxijet? Seems like it is just an RO filter with something different in the canisters. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks,

Russ

Yes, that is all you need to do. I looked at building one and their price is only a little more than retail for the parts. So if you already have the parts, then I'd definitely build it myself.