Aluminum T-slot aquarium stand and canopy

igozoom

The MDF stand that came with my Oceanic Tech 120 has almost completely fallen apart following a skimmer overflow. Any recommendations on where to look for a custom stand and canopy?

I've been considering a DIY aluminum t-slot stand like this one on glassbox-design.com

for several months now, but work and a 3 year old son have cut into my 'DIY' time lately.

700mm-pedestal-c.jpg700mm-pedestal-2.jpg

700mm-pedestal-j.jpg700mm-pedestal-3.jpg

Looking for a modern styled stand and maybe even going larger than the 24X48" footprint so that I have more sump room. Maybe a 24X78 with a 24X24 side cabinet that connects the canory. I need a safe place for my LED power supplies, I've already blown one!

Faztek, 8020, and their 'local' distributors sales guys call you a lot when you download their design software (requires autocad) from their sites, from what I can tell. You can also pick it up locally at Grainger and McMaster Carr, which might be the way to go. I also found a site that will pre-cut and allow you to order online

I'm a little wary about by doing something that appears to only be done in Japan and only typically on smaller tanks.

I don't own Autocad, but I might try to get someone who does to help me put a design together so I can get a flat packed quote. I'll definitely shop the plan, as the contact calls from Faztek and 8020 salespeople are starting to worry me.

Any suggestions on a better solutions?

Pic243-L_8ECA905E92C789C183u838D83b83N_14-I_8ECA905E.jpg

Pic243-L_8ECA905E92C789C183u838D83b83N_15-I_8ECA905E.jpg

Pic243-L_8ECA905E92C789C183u838D83b83N_16-I_8ECA905E.jpg

Pic249-L_8ECA905E92C789C183u838D83b83N_0-I_8ECA905E.jpg

Pic249-L_8ECA905E92C789C183u838D83b83N_1-I_8ECA905E.jpg

Images from the Tojo website

A few years back, I cut one of these stands on a waterjet for a customer in Germany. They were using them for rack mount servers. You can find them here at Rittal.

nice stuff

Edited by zygote2k

A few years back, I cut one of these stands on a waterjet for a customer in Germany. They were using them for rack mount servers. You can find them here at Rittal.

nice stuff

Waterjet... so that might answer my question about how clean a cut you can get on this with a mitre saw and the right blade...

I suppose I should pay the premium for pre-cut sections rather than buying the remnants at 50% off?

I have cut these on a table saw with a regular wood blade. As long as you have a deburring tool and don't mind hot aluminum chips flying everywhere, you'll be fine.

It looks like just regular interlocking aluminum excrusion. I agree a fine tooth high speed circular saw followed by a fast debur sanding on the cuts is all that is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI,

If the load calculations are not calculated correctly into the design of the load-bearing structures, failure will be swift. Aluminum does not warn you like wood or steel does. It will most likely crack and snap.