Tyree Blue Chalice

Jan

I got a frag of this chalice a couple of weeks ago. It came to me brown. Is it supposed to be brown? I've read and seen pics in other posts here where this chalice has been a bright blue under 10K. I've had it under 10K and now 14K and it's still brown. Hadit low, then middle, then high, then shaded and nothing. No growth, no polyp extension. All of my parameters are good and within normal limits. So what might be wrong, besides the obvious? :unsure:

A couple weeks is nothing in terms of acclimation to a coral. Let it be for a few months and see what happens. Every time you move a coral, it needs to acclimate itself to the new currents and lighting as well as all those interactions that we aren't aware of.

A couple weeks is nothing in terms of acclimation to a coral. Let it be for a few months and see what happens. Every time you move a coral, it needs to acclimate itself to the new currents and lighting as well as all those interactions that we aren't aware of.

It needs a low light, shady spot to stay blue. Too much light will turn any echinophora brown.

George

Jan,

A good practice I learned was when you get a new frag, place it on the bottom of the tank directly on the sand. This allows the new frag to get used to the new lights it will be living under, then after about two weeks maybe three I raise it up a few inches along the rock wall letting it get used to lights. I have had corals in the past turn brown due to a sudden color intensity change. But if you leave it in the same spot it will or should gain its color back. If you really need help you can always drop it off at my house and pick up your frag which I might have to frag it out. LOL :lol2:

I'm heading out to BRK next week. Pm your # and addy and let me know when you'll be around. Hold on to my frag, please.

I put this chalice in a shaded area and it's getting darker :) .

Jan,

A good practice I learned was when you get a new frag, place it on the bottom of the tank directly on the sand. This allows the new frag to get used to the new lights it will be living under, then after about two weeks maybe three I raise it up a few inches along the rock wall letting it get used to lights. I have had corals in the past turn brown due to a sudden color intensity change. But if you leave it in the same spot it will or should gain its color back. If you really need help you can always drop it off at my house and pick up your frag which I might have to frag it out. LOL :lol2: