Looking for water storage container. Where??

dgasmd

Well, using 30 gal trash cans for water changes is not very effective when you are trying to make a water change in a 450 gal and soon to be 550 gal system. I need something that would hold at least 100 gal. What I would ideally like to get is a cylindrical drum or tank of about 30-35 inch diameter and as told as it needs to be with a lid of some opening at the top. Think of a water heater shape and you'll know what I am talking about. What I would do is to drill the bottom to put a bulkhead and attach the little giant pump I am using for water changes. That way I can use it to mix the saltwater and then to pump it in the sump when changing water.

That sounds all fine, but I can't find such a tank anywhere, at least not for a reasonable price. Does anyone know of a place that may have these? I ahve tried a couple of farm supply stores all they have are open top container like stock tanks. One had something else sort of what I described, but instead of standing up it sits on its side with 4 built in little legs. That would occupy much more space than where I want to place it, hence the reason for something cylindrical and tall.

Throw me a bone here. :D  :D

Guest snapper
Home depot sells the green fiberglass 60 gallon containers.  They work like a champ!!!

sph2sail:

Yes, I know, but thanks for mentioning it. This link will show you why I am looking at some other options local. Look at the prices.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog....d+Tanks

snapper:

Which are those you are refering to? I went to HD today and saw nothing but the garbage containers. 60 gal will be on the lowest end of what I am looking for as far gallonage, but it may just do the trick. Which section of HD. I looked in garden and just about everywhere in the store and saw nothing. I may try another HD tomorrow since the one by my house sucks.

Alberto

Guest snapper

Alberto,

The one over here on the 29 in fairfax/centerville has them.  They are located where the trash cans are and are near where they sell the garden tools.

They're about $60 per and will not split since they're stronger than standard rubbermaid plastic.  They're easy to drill and plumb as well.

Look around at some other HDs, and I'll check here to make sure.

Eric

• 1 month later...

Well, I am still looking. Some people e-mailed me with leads on 55 gal food grade plastic drums, but they have not materialized

I ahve not been able to find the container mentioned above in HD and I have been to 3 in the area. Any other ideas?? ???  :(  ???

Alberto

Once you go over the 55 gal mark, you're gonna get into big bucks.

I know Chris Green used an old beat up 120 gal tank to use as a mixing/holding tank for his 450, had it plumbed to do automatic water changes.  Just an idea, might be cheaper than a speciality vessel.

Who is Chris Green? Is his tank still around? That would be an awesome look.

Alberto

Vee:

I'll only go the 55 gal drum if it is the only thing possible. If I was to order something, I think I would go with the larger container to make it worth it and just get one instead of 2+. I really want something bigger than 55 gal, but if I find it dirt cheap or free, I'll take it. What happened with the ones from the Pepsi or Coca Cola you mentioned before?? I would be willing to pick them up for both of us if you can find out about it.

Alberto

Guest vee

Alberto

i forgot which pepsi plant I talked to so I called around all the plants again and had no luck.  each plant does what it wants with used 55 gallon containers.  you could try calling around also, just go to yp.yahoo.com, and look for 'pepsi'

Victor

Lowes in Sterling has 96 gallon trash bins on wheels with a hinged lid for $87.  They're about 3 or 3 1/2 feet square.

Vee:

Those are exactly what I am looking at. The only problem with them is you have to add about $95 for shipping to the price there.  That takes the one I want (28*66=160 gal) from $170.77 to $260!! I don't know about you, but I have a hard time paying $170 for a water container much less $260 ???

When I spoke to US plastcics, they told me that for each container I get, The shipping price drops by $5 or so. I know of another person that would get one if I ordered it, but still the price is prohibitive for me at least. If I had 8-10 people that were going to go in it, that would be another story, but I don't know that many people willing and waiting to cough up that kind of money for a water container. Do you?? ???

Guest vee

Alberto,

Wow, didn't know those things were so much to ship.  The 55 drums were cheap to ship, like under $10 per drum.  Yea, I wouldn't pay that much for that other one.  

Victor

Well, today I put an end to this. A CMAS member had e-mailed me about free $55 gal drums they use at his work place. He got me 2 of them. They are awesome. I ahve some water in them now testing for leaks and to finish soaking any dirt. I will actually use one to replace my 30 gal garbage contianer I am using for top off and the other for water changes. God forbid I ever need to do more than a 10% water change.

Alberto