Looking to borrow a chiller

amos

The AC went out in my house last night (its always in the dead of summer!). I have fans blowing and we are trying to diagnose the issue. But in case I have a prolonged outage, does anyone chiller that I can borrow? I have a few frags I can share.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon, I have one of the ice probes but that won't even make a dent in your system. My chiller is running on the tank right now, but if you want to try and get it out of there, you can borrow it from me. It's a drop in, I think 1/3 HP so it's undersized for my system. I won't be home again until this afternoon, but since I have no corals currently it won't have a big impact. One thing you can try is to buy one of those portable AC units, but I think a lot of people buy them and then return them when they're done - I have purchased 4 and only ended up keeping one as all of the others had been used and returned dirty (talking about covered in mold in the air filter and missing parts).

Jon, fill a Zip lock bag with Ice and dump it in the sump. It will help you with temperature issues.

I always keep a bag of RODI water in my freezer just in case. I prefer to use RODI water in case the bag leaks or breaks.

You can use 2 bags instead of one. The idea here is to lower the temp until you get the AC going. You can achieve that faster with bags of ice.

Good luck!

I've used milk jugs filled 3/4 and add those as needed when I got in a jam.

Having eseveral allows you to rotate between freezer and sump and always have one in sump, if needed.

Disaster averted! It turned out to be a thermostat problem. We are having some work done to the kitchen and the thermostat and had been removed and rewired incorrectly. Thanks Boret, Chip, and Dave for the advice! All good suggestions that I'll file away for future use. I had a fan blowing on the tank and we hadn't yet reached the hot part of the day, so the tank never crossed 82.

The fish are thankful for the help, as am I!

Jon