Dosing Magnesium

rsarvis

I've been adding two-part for a long time, but not magnesium. I decided I might as well start, since my original batch of two-part from bulk reef supply came with it. So I mixed up a batch, but I'm wonder how dosing ought to work. I recall reading somewhere (just did a search but couldn't find it on these boards) that it's not that important to dose it slowly like two-part; is that correct? If I'm way low on magnesium, can I dump in quite a bit at a time, rather than having to do it a little each day over the course of many days/weeks?

I use a fairly diluted mix so I can simply add (slowly) a quart or two to the overflow without worrying about overdosing or Mag burn. 15 cups Mg sulphate/chloride to 5 gallons of water.

Do that every day until your levels are where you want them to be.

Edited by Almon

I usually bump my mg by 200ppm at a time once a month and all in one shot. Never had any ill effects. This is basically just dump a gallon of kent tech-m in the sump and forget about it for me.

I've been adding two-part for a long time, but not magnesium. I decided I might as well start, since my original batch of two-part from bulk reef supply came with it. So I mixed up a batch, but I'm wonder how dosing ought to work. I recall reading somewhere (just did a search but couldn't find it on these boards) that it's not that important to dose it slowly like two-part; is that correct? If I'm way low on magnesium, can I dump in quite a bit at a time, rather than having to do it a little each day over the course of many days/weeks?

I use the BRS dosing system too. I just pour the entire MAG container into the tank at one time, (after the CAL and ALK are gone). Here are the BRS directions. They say: "At this point it is time to dose the 20oz bottle of Magnesium. This can be done entirely in one dose just remember to add slowly to a high flow area of the tank."

Someone asked them about adding it all at once, or dosing it slowly in their FAQs:

I would like to dose the Magnesium portion in multiple doses instead of one dose in the end, is this ok? Yes, this is fine and many people opt to do this. Just keep the following ratio: 20oz of Magnesium solution for every 1 gallon of Calcium and Alkalinity. (20oz Magnesium:1 gallon Calcium:1 gallon Alkalinity)

BRS also has their own calculator for calcium alkalinity and magnesium. They recommend that you don't raise mag more than 100ppm per day.

Edited by Nate