240 rebuild

I just picked up this maintenance tank and figured I would share all the issues with it and post pics to show the progress.

Tank basics.

240 acrylic with 6' long acrylic sump. EuroReef skimmer, Iwaki 7MDQ return pump. 2) 400w 14k pendants plus 1) 250w 20k pendant. I guess this was for the actinic look?? 3) Tunze 6100's controlled by Tunze 7095 controller. Redundant control by AC3. ATO built into sump and 60 gallon trash container.

Tank is in wall in the center of a hallway- kind of strange placement- across from media room. Tank was conveyed with house and probably received zero maintenance for 3+ months.

Initial water params:

8.09 ph

350 ppm ca

2.89 meq/l alk

0 ppm N03

Only 5 small fish and an enormous longspined urchin call this tank home. The Xenia had completely outgrown all the other corals. I pruned 5 gallons of Xenia from this tank on the first visit. Have you ever smelled 5 gallons of Xenia??

Here's what the tank first looked like-

gallery_2631654_455_229989.jpg

There are 2 huge Fungia corals and an enormous Torch coral. There was also a large hammer coral that looked like it exploded leaving little hammer colonies all over the place. There are tons of blue mushrooms and lots of GSP and Rainbow Montipora encrusting everywhere.

There are some huge patches of cyano and also some other sort of disgusting algae like this-

gallery_2631654_455_346284.jpg

This is what the tank looked like after pruning, fixing the Tunzes and aquascaping-

gallery_2631654_455_1532908.jpg

Watch out, the nitrates were probably zero because of the xenia present in the tank as they eat it up. Removing so much of it could cause the water chemistry to spike if you don't monitor it carefully. The presence of all of that cyano is indicative of high nutrients in the system. Overall, though, looks like if all of those corals are staying healthy then the tank's not in too bad condition - it'll look nice when it is all cleaned up! The person certainly has some high end equipment!

Have you ever smelled 5 gallons of Xenia??

Now, that's just gross.

But really, it looks great -- keep up the good work!

Matt

• 4 years later...