Before buying fish

zygote2k

Finding and Killing Nemo along with my Debt Snowball

By glblguy

About 4 months ago, I found a 75 gallon tank, wooden stand, glass tops and light for $150 on Craigslist. New, this equipment would cost close to $800.00. Using my Craigslist tips, I purchased it for $100, a steal. I had always wanted a salt water aquarium, and thus began my quest to set-up the salt water aquarium of my dreams, or so I thought.

By the time I bought all of the necessary equipment, chemicals, salt, and test kits my $100 dollar aquarium was now a $500 dollar aquarium.

Downside #1: Salt water aquariums require lots of high-tech and expensive equipment

We then purchased 3 fish (blue damsels) to let the tank begin maturing in preparation for larger and more exotic fish. All three died within 3 days. The water tested fine, so I headed to the pet store to get replacements, just like I would with my fresh water fish. The store quickly informed me that there is no guarantee on salt water fish.

Downside #2: Most stores don

How much liverock you got in there?Why don't you try some base rock(dry or dead rock) ? Since you already have some liverock it will seed the baserock within a couple of months it will become live and for half the cost.Plus you won't have to worry about your tank adjusting again.As you would with putting in new liverock.

Edited by dmward99

How much liverock you got in there?Why don't you try some base rock(dry or dead rock) ? Since you already have some liverock it will seed the baserock within a couple of months it will become live and for half the cost.Plus you won't have to worry about your tank adjusting again.As you would with putting in new liverock.

The initial post in this thread is a blog entry.

sighs the story reminded me when I first started....lesson learn....never rush in this hobby

+1 on that. I have been having fish for many years, and shed many tears. The lesson I tell everybody is time and simplicity is all it takes to maintain a marine tank.