Live rock rubble/detritus, shells

miniflea

Would it be worth it to buy some of the gunk at the bottom of a dealer's live rock bin to add to my main display? I don't have a refugium but I'd like to add some variable habitat areas and all I've got in there right now is plain sand and single large chunks of rock. Also, is there anywhere I can get small to medium sized shells? My hermit crabs are starting to gang up on each other and even some of my snails. The one who managed to fight off the others for the snail's shell is now twice as large as all the others. Figure it might be more peaceful if I got them some large shells to grow into.

(edited)

I wouldn't take any gunk out of the bottom. It would be adding excess nutrients which could start a big algae bloom. A couple pieces of LR rubble would be okay, but I wouldn't take any "gunk" out like detritus or anything like that. About the shells... You could probably get some out of a snail tank where the snails have died. Your lfs might even give you some.

Edited by capsfan

Would it be worth it to buy some of the gunk at the bottom of a dealer's live rock bin to add to my main display? I don't have a refugium but I'd like to add some variable habitat areas and all I've got in there right now is plain sand and single large chunks of rock. Also, is there anywhere I can get small to medium sized shells? My hermit crabs are starting to gang up on each other and even some of my snails. The one who managed to fight off the others for the snail's shell is now twice as large as all the others. Figure it might be more peaceful if I got them some large shells to grow into.

I'm transferring everything from my 24 gallon Nano to my 75 gallon this weekend. You can have a cup or two of the sand and crushed coral that's in there.

I dont take gunk. In two of my tanks I have rubble areas. I think it is a good thing to do.