How To Eliminate Red Bugs

Nate

So I have heard all this talk about acro eating bugs. Its kinda scary to think that all our beautiful corals could be wiped out by bugs. So I am not sure how to go about identifying the type of bugs. I know I have these little bugs on the tank walls, but they aren't "red." So now I am paranoid. I have also heard that other people that I trade corals with frequently, might have a red bug problem. I want to treat my tank just to play it safe.

So the big question is: What is the most effective way to eliminate nuisance acro eating bugs from my tank?

you need to find out what you have before you treat the tank. RedBugs will not be on the walls of the tank. No need to treat the tank just in case, the treatment for red bugs will kill your inverts.

google red bugs

you need to find out what you have before you treat the tank. RedBugs will not be on the walls of the tank. No need to treat the tank just in case, the treatment for red bugs will kill your inverts.

google red bugs

Bob, can I ask what medication did you and/or anyone else use to treat the red bugs (i.e., Interceptor etc. dosage/amount, and how do you use it and where to get it).

thanks

Jack

So I have heard all this talk about acro eating bugs. Its kinda scary to think that all our beautiful corals could be wiped out by bugs. So I am not sure how to go about identifying the type of bugs. I know I have these little bugs on the tank walls, but they aren't "red." So now I am paranoid. I have also heard that other people that I trade corals with frequently, might have a red bug problem. I want to treat my tank just to play it safe.

So the big question is: What is the most effective way to eliminate nuisance acro eating bugs from my tank?

You probably just have harmless copepods or isopods.

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/bugs/munnidisopod/view

IME the most common sps pests are red bugs, acropora eating flatworms (AEFW), and montipora-eating nudibranchs. There are different treatment strategies for each, so you really need to know what the problem is.

Red bugs are VERY small and difficult to spot without a magnifying glass or macro photo. They're mostly orange, with a red dot at one end. This is what you're looking for.

gallery_267_613_27137.jpg gallery_267_613_15083.jpg

If they came in on a new coral and haven't spread to the entire tank a lugol's solution dip and/or a ReVive dip will knock them off. I'm not sure it kills them but they along with AEFW and every other pest jumps right off the coral.