skimmer comparison

zygote2k

I'm not sure how one would go about it. In fact, if it were possible to scientifically rate them - I would think someone would have done it by now.

I could enter my Psyclone. As long as I adjust it every day or two - it does just about as good a job as the Deltec (on a smaller scale, of course).

Based purely on methodology - I like GSA's new cone skimmer; it looks like pure bubbles all the way, with a massive contact zone. And whatever skimmer Dan (Zoozilla) has - looks like the same thing, but without the cone.

What do you suggest for measurement/rating criteria??

bob

If you go purely on size of pump(s) and run a comparison using freshly cleaned skimmers, you can get a good idea of performance. Put them both in the same sump and compare results after a week.

If you go purely on size of pump(s) and run a comparison using freshly cleaned skimmers, you can get a good idea of performance. Put them both in the same sump and compare results after a week.

How does one determine the difference between more, but wetter skim with mostly water, and less, but dryer skimmate with less water in it? And do you weigh the poo inside the neck of the skimmer? Measure thickness?

This is what I mean by it being hard to make comparisons. The only true test would be two 50-gallon containers with xxx amount of organic material in it - and then measure a day or a week later to see what percentage is still there. But i've never seen a measurement for organics, or a way to 'add' a certain amount, etc.

Over time, one can gather empirical data - for example, my 240 has always had nitrate problems. If I were to switch to a Bubble-King, and two months later I found my nitrates dropping between water changes instead of increasing, that would be some evidence that the BK ws better than the Deltec. Unfortunately - I might have tuned it better, or I might have cut back on some source of nitrate, or some other random factor.

People have already run tests like you describe, with results posted daily here on the WAMAS board. But in the long run, it is still subjective. Skimmer A LOOKS like it works better than skimmer B. But we don't know for sure.

bob