Second return pump for chiller question

queloque

If tapping into my existing PVC return plumbing is not an option could I put a second pump in the return section of my sump that feeds into my chiller using flex piping that then returns cool water into the display as an additional return?

I read that additional return pumps are used as backup and or for UV so I wanted to do the same with my chiller using all flex tubing.

As long as your drain system can handle the addtional volume. Sometimes they can "handle" it but become mighty loud.

Some things to consider.

The pump you choose can handle the head pressure of rising to the tank and what's caused by the chiller itself.

If those two cause too significant a drop in return flow, it could cause the chiller to ice up.

If you plan to tee off the existing bulkhead line that it can handle it - better to have it's own bulkhead line.

As long as your drain system can handle the addtional volume. Sometimes they can "handle" it but become mighty loud.

Some things to consider.

The pump you choose can handle the head pressure of rising to the tank and what's caused by the chiller itself.

If those two cause too significant a drop in return flow, it could cause the chiller to ice up.

If you plan to tee off the existing bulkhead line that it can handle it - better to have it's own bulkhead line.

Thanks. The pump i'm using is the same pump I used for my chiller in my previous 90 gallon tank but it function as the sole return for the tank.

Now I want to use it with the 125 that already has two built in returns with the mag 18, and the pump with the chiller would be an additional 3rd return using the flex tubing thats either 1/2 or 3/4 inch.

Any thoughts about plumbing the 2nd pump to return chilled water back into the sump? This would eliminate the head pressure and additional drain volume concerns. I'm assuming your current return pump provides enough flow through the sump for this.

(edited)

Another option - instead of having another return pump, you could run it on a closed loop, either a loop from/to your display or from/to the sump itself.

Cheers

Mike

Yeah, basically what Dave said above... ;)

Edited by OUsnakebyte

Any thoughts about plumbing the 2nd pump to return chilled water back into the sump? This would eliminate the head pressure and additional drain volume concerns. I'm assuming your current return pump provides enough flow through the sump for this.

I never thought of that.

So you are saying pump through chiller than loop the outflow from the chiller back into sump?

So you are saying pump through chiller than loop the outflow from the chiller back into sump?

yup, just loop it on the sump itself - or loop it on the display, but not both.

I never thought of that.

Just be mindful you don't short cycle your chiller by doing this.

You will need a fairly large sump to do so and why I did not sugest it.

on/off/on/off to quickly is least efficient and bad for the chiller itself.

(edited)
yup, just loop it on the sump itself - or loop it on the display, but not both.

I guess it doesn't matter where in the sump I feed the cooled water in right? Meaning feeding it back into the return chamber where the primary return pump is or in the initial drain chamber where the skimmer is located?

Edited by queloque

(edited)
Just be mindful you don't short cycle your chiller by doing this.

You will need a fairly large sump to do so and why I did not sugest it.

on/off/on/off to quickly is least efficient and bad for the chiller itself.

It is a 75 gallon sump. Is that too small?

gallery_2631973_604_97656.jpg

And chiller

gallery_2631973_604_111343.jpg

Edited by queloque