pump needed for 120 closed loop

kylemagoo

Hi,

I need an external pump for a closed loop on a 120. There is a one inch drain and two one inch returns in the back of the tank. I will also have a return line going over the top of the tank.

The pump needs to be quiet. I am planning a mixed reef tank.

Any recommendations?

thanks

Kyle

From my research you should get the biggest pump you can for a closed loop. I wanted to add a Reeflo Dart (3600 gph), but now that seems way too small for my tank build. I am thinking I need at least a Barracuda or larger.

(edited)
From my research you should get the biggest pump you can for a closed loop. I wanted to add a Reeflo Dart (3600 gph), but now that seems way too small for my tank build. I am thinking I need at least a Barracuda or larger.

You think 3600gph is too small for a 120 closed loop? Are you trying to recreate the surge zone on a reef? Unless you're doing all SPS, you're going waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill. 1" pipe can only handle a certain amount of water- does the 3600 gph+ even work with 1"?

Edited by zygote2k

I think that 1" is typically 600 gph. So if that's how it is, you'll be going with something like a mag7 or similar pump. If you were to use a large pump, I think you may have to enlarge the hole to 1.5" at the very least to maybe do some of the larger pumps (Darts, etc).

I think that 1" is typically 600 gph. So if that's how it is, you'll be going with something like a mag7 or similar pump. If you were to use a large pump, I think you may have to enlarge the hole to 1.5" at the very least to maybe do some of the larger pumps (Darts, etc).

With a single 1" drain, you definitely won't want to have too strong a pump. The suction on the drain will be too strong for most fish to swim away from. I'd recommend one of the Pan World pumps, Iwaki or similar. A Dart will work, but you'll need to valve it back. I use a barracuda on mine, but I have 2 2" drains and 4 1" returns.

The return line over the top of the tank could cause problems - depending on the height of the output, the loop would no longer be "closed" when power is cut because this could be exposed to air. Not sure if this is really an issue, but something to consider.

(edited)

I did some of the head loss calc on rc after viewing this- to get the most out of that 3600 gph, you'll need at least 2 2" drains and 2 2" inlets. Using larger pipe will add an additional safety factor for anemones and such, otherwise you'll have soup.

Edited by zygote2k

I did some of the head loss calc on rc after viewing this- to get the most out of that 3600 gph, you'll need at least 2 2" drains and 2 2" inlets. Using larger pipe will add an additional safety factor for anemones and such, otherwise you'll have soup.

I have been doing tons of research on closed loops and am no way a pro at all. I was commenting about how I wanted to add a big pump to the tank I am going to be working on soon. I was referring to the 400g tank I am going to setup, and how it seems like a few people run Dart pumps for the closed loop. But with the 4 returns my new tank is drilled for, the Dart is way too small. I just bought a Hammerhead pump and will be using that for the closed loop.

As for the original posters question, I apologize if I went a little off his question, but from my research it seems "overkill" on a closed loop with the ability to dial back the flow seems better then not enough flow.