silconing glass baffle question

queloque

I'm at the stage of installing my glass baffles in my glass sump tank. I put the first one in to cure for 24 hours and I will do a water test tonight.

Question: If there is a leak, do you just overlay another layer of silicone? Will that be sufficient?

Since it's a sump, I would do it. I had a leak on the bottom of the glass pane but it still worked fine.

I'm at the stage of installing my glass baffles in my glass sump tank. I put the first one in to cure for 24 hours and I will do a water test tonight.

Question: If there is a leak, do you just overlay another layer of silicone? Will that be sufficient?

I have never had a leak, but I would imagine that would work.

There are some good videos on YouTube that show you step by step how to do it, in one of the videos I think the guy actually had a leak, and just patched it with more silicone...

Insignificant to worry about. Hundreds of gallons per hour will be flowing through the baffles. It is not even a leak that you will not even be able to detect unless it is above the next level. I say secure them in place and finish the sump. I never worried about that nor did a water test after I put in my glass baffles.

Hopefully, you had the bottom corners of the baffles that come in contact with the sump bottom cut back at a 45 degree angle about a 1/4 inch. This is an allowance for the silicone that is in place of the tank you are using as a sump. By doing this the baffle edge can sit all the way down on the bottom of the sump and goes to provide a better seal. Otherwise, the baffle will sit on the sumps silicone bead and will already be up off the bottom and will require more silicone and the chance for a 'leak'.

What I don't get with the baffles is the 1 Inch spacing between the 3 baffles that everyone says it has to be for microbubbles. I cannot even get the silicon tube the fit a little bit in the 1 inch gap to even get started. How is it possible to silicone this properly, especially with the middle baffle. Does it really need to be only 1 inch spacing? There has to be a better way.

The trick is to put the silicone in place first. :idea:

1. I dry fitted all the baffles in place and when they were positioned where I wanted them I used a dry erase marker and marked the outside of the sump for a reference. Also, the two baffles that lead into the section where the return pump are at an angle to help eliminate any 'waterfall' effect (to reduce noise and bubbles).

2. I then removed the baffles and turned the sump over to draw a line across the bottom connecting the side lines.

3. Now to secure: I did the middle one that is raised up first (with a temporary support and then held in place with tape till secure.

4. Move to an outer one. I put a bead of silicone on the bottom in place where it would sit and along the sides with a little extra on these beads. Use the dry erase lines as your placement guides.

5. Take one baffle and at an small angle place in on the bottom in the bead of silicone, now gently rotate the top of the baffle up into position. This will allow for the glass pane to slide through the silicone getting it between the baffle and the sump sides for better sealing.

6. Now add more silicone to the outside edges of the baffle and smoooth.

7. To finish and reach in the tight space between baffles, I took a wooden dowel to which I rounded the end and used this to slightly work the silicone bead to my liking (any device that can fit in there with a rounded edges can work). You can use this tool to put more silicone on the end of it to put in place if needed.

8. Tape in place to hold till dry.

9. Repeat until all baffles are complete.

Make sure the silicone is completely smooth at the top and sides of the baffles that form the return pump section. If not, this could lead to disrupting the water flow along the edges resulting in bubbles in this section.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
What I don't get with the baffles is the 1 Inch spacing between the 3 baffles that everyone says it has to be for microbubbles. I cannot even get the silicon tube the fit a little bit in the 1 inch gap to even get started. How is it possible to silicone this properly, especially with the middle baffle. Does it really need to be only 1 inch spacing? There has to be a better way.

Check out my build thread, i think i have some step by step photos. When I did them I did not worry about getting it on both sides, if you get the calk gun in tight it will push some silicon through. It is not a huge deal because there will not be tons of pressure on these baffles, if you have doubts then you coulld at least silicon them from opposite wher ethe water will be coming from, that way it has something to hold up against. But again, it's not critical.