Sheffboyrd's 75g RR Build

Hey everyone! Just rejoined WAMAS and am putting together a 75. It's an all glass with a megaflow overflow and I have an Iwaki 30RLT for the return. Due to financial constraints it'll start out really simple, but build up over time. I've got a 150w hqi pendant to start with for lighting, a ASM G2 without any mods, and a couple of weak powerheads for added water movement in the display. The biggest obstacle will be getting this setup before the baby comes(next month sometime), as my wife is pregnant.

The first real project is building the stand which I'll post some pictures of here to get things started off...

Here is the semi finished stand(still needs to be sanded and stained)

Fish%20Tank%20Stand%20Build%20016.JPG

The door will be held in place by two small magnets, which I still need to install. I felt this would be easier than swinging the door open and will give me better access to the sump and equipment. Also by using trim to disguise the door it doesn't necessarily look like the stand opens at all from the outside, which I thought was nice as far as asthetics are concearned.

Fish%20Tank%20Stand%20Build%20022.JPG

I also don't really like having that cheap looking plastic trim outlining the view of the tank so my stand will hide the trim. The drawback to this is getting the tank off the stand will not be easy at all. In this case the tank has to slide backwards off the stand before it can be lifted. Hopefully that won't be necessary for a long time though. I think this gives the tank a nice clean look going straight from the stand to the sand in the tank without any plastic trim to distract the view.

Fish%20Tank%20Stand%20Build%20019.JPG

Fish%20Tank%20Stand%20Build%20024.JPG

The supports for the stand are completely overbuilt for a 75, using 2x4s generously.

Fish%20Tank%20Stand%20Build%20002.JPG

Once the stand is stained and finished the next project is to setup water filtration, which will be located in a small closet with a washer/dryer and hot water heater. After that is all done I need to do plumbing and then I'm good to fill the tank up! I'd love to hear what everybody thinks and if they have any suggestions or advice.

Hey there. Rewelcome to wamas and congrats on the purchases and the new baby coming!

It sounds like you've got a good idea how you're going to do things but, maybe its my computer but I can't see your pictures =/

Either way it sounds like your off to a good start and can't wait to see the final product.

What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

Looks good so far and nice job on the stand. Cool idea with the magnetic door/wall deal, haven't seen that before. Definitely keep us posted.