My Percula's laid eggs today...

Guest JFish

Guest JFish

Well, I got in the house today from working in the yard and went to my room to get ready to take a shower... I checked on my tank and my anemone was gone, sunken into the sand with only a few tentacles showing, I was kind of scared.  then I noticed the clowns fanning the rock wall behind the anemone and noticed a nice patch of orange eggs.  Got in the shower and then out and my anemone is now opening back up, emerged from the sand again, not nearly as big as it was before but I'll give it time.  I don't have the live food supply to keep any of these guys alive, but I thought I'd share that my clownfish have laid their first set of eggs since I got them 2 years ago.

If I could find my camera (%$@ college packing) I'd take some pics for you all.

Anyways... thats it,

Guest bill33
what size tank did they breed in??? what kind of aneome??? what kind of clowns???   congrads

You'll laugh at me on this one...

I had this ricordia like looking stuff on the rocks by my anemone that the clowns host in.  Gatortailale stops in during a WAMAS officer's meeting and I ask him what it is.  He says...  "DUDE, your clowns have laid a clutch of eggs, ya idiot!"

Too funny.

Congrats Dad.  After they hatched, I did the trick that Esther Peters recommended with a flash light after the system lights went out.  Sure enough, there were baby clowns all over the place.  Was WAY Cool...

s

Guest JFish
It's a 58 gallon, the anemone is a sebae which has been with them the whole 2 years I've had the clowns and they are percula clownfish.  I'd take a picture but I think I lost my camera on my move home from college, which sucks a whole lot.  Just wish it was easier to keep the babies alive.

Guest JFish
Oh.. one more thing... How many days for them to hatch again?  I'd like to see the fry before they disapear.

I thought I'd share that my clownfish have laid their first set of eggs since I got them 2 years ago.

Is it possible that they have been laying eggs and that your mom didn't see the eggs while caring for the tank when you were at college?  Maybe she did a Steve ... saw them but didn't know they were eggs.

Raising them - I talked to michael G. about it - he tried after meeting last year on clowns and said it is a lot of work to catch, & try to feed and do all work.  My pair produces eggs, but I'm too lazy to try to catch and raise - just use it as reef tank food  [nana]

Guest JFish
That's what I was planning on doing... just wanted to see them when they hatched.  Didn't think about the mom not seeing them thing... that is a possibility... what really scared me was when my anemone, which has always been out and healthy looking from the day I got it, was retracted into the sand almost completely and only deflated looking tentacles remained.  If my clowns made my anemone do that everytime  while they laid the eggs then they haven't before because my mom would have definately noticed that.

Guest bill33
what other fish do you have in their??? if you have moon lighting that will help spawning

Guest JFish

I only have 5 long spined cardinals in there with them... For a while I had a black capped basslet but he died along with many of my corals when the fan died and the water cooked.  Once I get a job I'll be investing in a chiller for the tank.

With the moon lighting, the tank is right next to my bed so I don't know if I could sleep with that over the tank... plus, as the lights are out the room light comes on a few times while they're sleeping every night, cause I need to find my way to bed :)

Guest bill33
cool are you selling any frags???    my tank is bare

Guest JFish
My tank became bare itself with the heat disaster that whiped out a lot of my corals, so I don't really have anything that I'm fragging right now.

Guest bill33
o thats ok, have your cardnals bred yet???