Corner Aquarium Question

scw2u

I have a question for anyone who owns or is familiar with corner tanks.

I recently ordered a 92 Corner by AGA/Aqueon. When it arrived, I noticed that the black platisc trim at bottom was not flush with the front of the tank (along the curved galss). There was a quarter-inch or more gap all the way around. I gave it back to the store as defective and they ordered another one that came in today and had the exact same problem. I've seen other 92 corners since the first tank arrived and all of them have had the glass flush with the trim, including the floor model at the store (unfortunately too beat-up to take).

Given this, my question to those with corner tank experience is whether or not I should be concerned about this gap.

If you're standing away from the tank, you probably wouldn't notice the gap itself, but my concern is that salt and other debris will collect in that space and be difficult to clean (making the gap noticible) and potentially harmful to the seal. I'm not sure if I'm being overly concerned or not, but I want to be confident that what I'm spending hundreds of dollars is not going to look bad and/or fail on me in a couple years.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you guys might have.

---Scott

Hi Scott,

I wouldn't buy it unless the glass was flush to the trim.

You saw mine and there is no gap. I will tell the store to get you one flushed or give you your money back. I am sure you can find another one. You just need to be happy with what you buy and don't settle for less. Maybe Jamesbuff can chime in, he is the expert of corner tanks!!!

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The potential problem is that if the store is correct, then all the newer production models will have this flaw. Their contention is that while the older models may be flush, newer ones are not. To their credit, the floor model has an AGA sticker vs. the Aquean sticker on the ones I've tried to purchase.

As such, if they're right, I may be out of luck unless I can find an older model for sale somewhere or a used one in good shape or another manufacturer. Unfortunately, given the layout of my house and the pickiness of my wife, the corner option is the only acceptable solution.

I will be calling around tomorrow to some shops to see what others have to say.

If I recall correctly, Aqueon is the parent company for old AGA.

They also own Oceanic systems.

The AGA band has been retired and now they are called Aqueon.