Surge devices- anyone make one?

michaelg

Guest cbo

I am working on a surge device, I think patterned after the borneman toilet flapper model.  It is a 20L tank with a divider in the middle and a hole drilled in one end.  I adapted a toilet flush valve to 2" pvc and that down to 1" to exit the hole.  It is not operational yet and I am trying to connect a suitable float.

cbo

Chris- if you haven't seen it yet, over in the diy section of RC, eric had a post earlier in the year about some mods he made to the design.  It was pretty simple, cut back on the bubbles somewhat, etc.  Interesting thing, is a second discussion on his discovery that a myreef skimmer will act as a surge when placed above the sump in some way.  Andy has re-created it, and is working up a marketable design.  May finally be an affordable comercial device (design should be a lot simpler than a skimmer).

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbullet....t922839

I have asked Andy to send up a prototype for the club to test.  We'll see if he bites :0

Guest cbo

Thanks michael that was an interesting read and I look forward to more inforamation on this new surge device, it sure will be easier to setup than this toilet flush valve is.  There is a picture of my non operational setup in the gallary.  I am trying to find a suitable float.  I dont see how eric's new modification will make the flapper open easier since the existing overflow tube releaves the back pressure, but it certainly would be better at handling large overflow conditions.

cbo

Chris- from looking at your photos, do you plan to have the dump go straight down?  Considered putting an elbow at the end of the exit to make it go across the water?

Guest cbo

Yeah, I have to.  It may look like the vertical tube dumped right in the tank, but it is actually 2-3 inches outside the tank,  I have to put in a horizontal piece just to get into the tank.  I think I will put in a 45 higher up and then another 45 below water level.  

Michael.  Did you see the photo of the DIY HQI enclosure.  If you will re-emburse me for the parts, I can order the parts and build build another DIY HQI 150W for the raffle, we will have to get another ballast from prevyet too.

cbo

• 1 year later...