venting heat to the outside from lights and tank

jtro

Just wondering what people are using .would like to vent the tank area out. What brand fans and what size duct work are you using if you have this type of system?

Thanks

Jim

(edited)
Just wondering what people are using .would like to vent the tank area out. What brand fans and what size duct work are you using if you have this type of system?

Thanks

Jim

4" fan and 4" dryer duct to the ouside wall of the house through a dry vent that closes when the fan is off I use a sunlight supply 170 cfm fan

Edited by johnnybv

I'm using a pair of bath fans from Lowe's. The quietest ones that moved the most air. Connected to, I believe, a 4" duct that runs out through another exhaust vent. Also w/ the flap that closes when no air is exiting.

Johnny has it pretty much dead on. The only change I would make would be to use a centrifugal fan (space permitting) to lessen noise. Typically, you get a much lower dB @ CFM with centrifugal fans.

Also, I believe you can 'T' or 'Y' into an existing exhaust duct, so you won't have to drill an extra hole in your house. :)

Fantech brand fans work pretty well. I had one of those on my last setup. It wasn't too noisy; not sure how it compares with the sunlight supply fan for noise but it could definitely move some air.

can you avoid the chiller when setting it up that way with MH?

depends on how you set it up, and how hot the ambiant temp it, I do not use a chiller on my system. All fan

Is there a reason to vent this outside of the house? My aquamedic light heats my basement in the winter. Why not just vent away from the tank?

What about using Computer Fans? They are virtually silent (at least the 120mm ones) and they move a lot of air. I know you are asking about venting outside and not the type of fan, but I thought I will throw it in.

This is what I put in mine:

gallery_2631272_415_245417.jpg

Its a $8 fan connected to $6 120v/12v transformer from Radio Shack. You can actually run 2 of these in a .45 amp transformer and 4 in a 1amp which runs for about $10.

Is there a reason to vent this outside of the house? My aquamedic light heats my basement in the winter. Why not just vent away from the tank?

Yes, you can do this but it will also contribute to increased humidity. Most of us have gas heat, so the added humidity is very welcome. In the summer you might not be so keen on heating your basement, so I'd at least set up a way to send it outside during the summer.

I am assuming this setup/fan would work fine for humidity issues as well? I am asking because I am thinking about moving my tank into an unfinished portion of my basement that is about 15' x 15' and would need something to vent the humidity out.

I want to get the heat and humidity out of the house.My tank is in the basement which was the coldest part of the house but is now the hottest.I am currently using a house fan to cool the tank down when needed it keep it between 78.4 and 79 usually never higher.But I am using a dehumidifier now in the basement and would like to try to stop.

Thanks

Jim

I am assuming this setup/fan would work fine for humidity issues as well? I am asking because I am thinking about moving my tank into an unfinished portion of my basement that is about 15' x 15' and would need something to vent the humidity out.

Yes, I'm using mine for heat and humidity. I'll also add some of the computer fans to blow across my lights and water to keep it cool. An exhaust fan will pump out heat and humidity, but isn't effective and promoting evaporative cooling. You need more direct air flow across the water for that.

Thanks for the info. So far heat has not been a problem for us.. I only run 2 x 150w MH on a 120. Thanks again.