Acrylic Scratches

Guest mikesroth

Guest mikesroth

We went and saw someone with a very nice LARGE Acrylic tank tonite.  Seems like a good price, but the tank has some scratches on it, mostly on the side, they seem rather light, and a couple of more serious ones on the outside.  I thought I read (and have been told) that Acrylic is a bit easier to repair the scratches on.  Does anyone know how to do this and is it that easy?  The top also had some rough spots where they put the edges together, but I will ask my questions about that later... I try to only bug you all with one at a time. :) hehe

Thanks in advance!!!!

Guest mikesroth

Well, looks like we are definitley getting the tank. :)

So....  ]]]bmp   on scratching fixing ideas.... :D

You need 2 compounds- one for "buffing" and the other for polishing.  It is pretty simple to do.  The first one is a little corse to remove the scratch (perpindicular to scratch), then the polish smooths (circular) to a clear finish.  I believe you can use a buffing attachment on a power drill to speed it up???.  Acrylic shops or US plastics should have it.  Brand name: Novus. You need #3 for heavy scratches, then #2 for fine scratches and follow up to #3.  Naturally try first in an inconspicuous area.

Yes scratches can be repaired.  I have never messed with scratched acrylic personally.  From what I have read and the products used to remove scratches, it sounds a bit like car detailing which I am familiar with.  

There are a few places you can start at.  This is mostly due to the severity of the scratch/es.  The most aggressive would be wet sanding and the least would be a very mild abrasive followed by a polish.  You want to start at the least aggressive stage as possible.  For example if you have small scratches, starting with a coarser wet-dry sand paper could create a patch of scratches similar or worse than what you already had... then you have to slowly work the area with finer and finer abrasive paper/compound until it can be polished out.  I don't like making more work for myself. ;)  I would start with a very mild abravsive compound and gauge it from there. Then if you decide you need to be more aggressive you can do so.  I would also be careful about using power buffers or polishers, you can mess things up quick.    

I did a quick search and came up with a page that offers several options so you can see what products are available.  http://www.tropicalfishstore.com/careproducts.htm

Guest mikesroth

Thanks Dave and Michael.  I am glad to know that the scratches are repairable.  It looked like most of them were minor ones on the inside of the tank, but there was a couple of deeper ones on the outside where the guy's wife had 'scratched' the acrylic trying to clean it, and from shipping.  I think the worst section was actually on the top where a section was 'Glued' to the top to line up covers.  I will take a picture of it when we actually get the tank to see if anyone has any suggestions.  I am thinking we might just put a canopy on it, so it wouldn't matter. :)

Thanks again!