Is there any South down sand in the DC Area

ctreptow

Hi All

I have checked many HD's in the NOVA area and can't find southdown sand. Has any one seen this sand in the DC area. I even checked the HD near Ocean City last week to no avail :(.

TIA

Chris

i think someone just posted they found it at southern states in manassas va under the name yard right. you can get it at the reef tank also but you have to tell them in advance so they can get it.

Guest mmcaleer

Yes,  I posted it under the general section.  I was at Southern States in Manassas today and they had it for $4.59 for a 40lb bag.  It is called "yard right" tropical play sand.  It is the same stuff they are now carrying at the Reef Tank.

Mike

Guest mmcaleer

Your welcome GaryL.

FYI - Home Depot stopped distributing Southdown sand back in January.  If you find it in Home Depot it is just leftover from last season.  

For anyone looking for sand, it is best now to pickup the Yard Right brand sand.  While you are at Southern States they also carry the large Rubbermaid containers that most reefers use for their sump.  I think they come in 70, 100, 150, and 300 gallon sizes with a bulkhead already drilled and installed for around $60 depending on which size you choose.

Mike

you got that right  :D.. Thanks a lot Gary I was about ready to give up and just use the play sand HD was selling.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Guest reeffoto
If you are looking for southdown sand there is no need just stop by my place before sunday and you can have all you want and it it full of critters.  I have atleast 200 lbs left.

Guest mikesroth
He does have nice sand.  Jen and I got a few bags of it earlier this week.

That is well well worth the drive to get some live sand like that.  If you need more, call the reef tank.

If you are looking for southdown sand there is no need just stop by my place before sunday and you can have all you want and it it full of critters.  I have atleast 200 lbs left.

Wow, thank you for the offer.  :)

Right now, I only have a nano tank... I'm in the process of planning a 72g bow front, so if the offer is still available when I get everything setup,I would love to get some LS. Thanks!