Calcium Reactor

Guest clownfish4

Guest clownfish4
Well, since Calcium Reactors appear to just be water tight plastic containers, I imagine this one won't be overly difficult.  Only downside is the media is so expensive.  Anyways, I plan on just using a cylindrical tube and a good pump.  Maybe a bubble counter, haven't decided.  I have read on drsfostersmith.com that it does best when used in conjunction with a CO2 system.  Why?  Is it absolutely necessary?  What is the downside to not using one with the calcium?

Guest tgallo
without CO2, the media inside the reactor will not disolve, kinda useless.

I'm in the process of making one so I'll let you know if in fact they (mine) are water tight. :p

You do need the CO2 to make it dissolve and get the benifit of the calcium.

Chip

There are some real good plans (for reactors and everything else ) in the diy section of this site.

You can find them by going to the links sections then to the DIY page then to the Reactors section. Or you can hit this link Reactor plans

Nathan,

I've never seen that DIY section before.  That could well be a link from the main page.

Phil

I wouldn't mind building my own CR, would anyone be interested in say late July weekend getting together to share cost of material to build one as well?

I live in Vienna VA, have quite a few tools and Home Depot near by?

Howard

One thing to consider when making one- look into making one rectangular.  There are some great designs on RC in the DIY forum.  Much easier than working with tube.  And- I would recommend using a 300gpd pump and pumping the water from the bottom up :)