My orange and green Ricordea

Vader

I have this little orange/green ric and it's not growing. I can see all my other corals slowing growing but this little ric almost seems to be getting smaller. All my water readings are good and I have moved the ric around the tank....any ideas anyone?

Most of mine weren't doing well in the 90 gallon to I moved them to my little 24, where they are now fat and happy. I don't know if it's the extra flow they're now getting, better/different water, better feng shui....... Best guess of course, is the flow - it's not super strong but pretty steady.

That's the one test I don''t have. I move the ric from the top of the tank to the bottom and middle.

Hilary, you think by moving it closer to a stronger water source that might help it ??

Not who you asked... but mine usually grow fastest in my tank about mid-way up in low but steady flow. The ones that are in rather turbulent flow don't do well, and the ones that are in "no flow" area's do well, but don't grow too much. As for no nitrate testing... that is the ONE test that I DO do. I think it's one of the most important tests because it can tell you if, say, a fish died (not always...), when it's time to do a water change, and so on. I'm not bashing you or anything like that, it's just my opinion :rolleyes:

Not who you asked... but mine usually grow fastest in my tank about mid-way up in low but steady flow. The ones that are in rather turbulent flow don't do well, and the ones that are in "no flow" area's do well, but don't grow too much. As for no nitrate testing... that is the ONE test that I DO do. I think it's one of the most important tests because it can tell you if, say, a fish died (not always...), when it's time to do a water change, and so on. I'm not bashing you or anything like that, it's just my opinion :rolleyes:

No, it's cool, I don't take it as bashing but I do ammonia testing.

I have a similar problem. All the rics seem to do fine. But this little green guy stays that small all the time. :mad: Weird.

gallery_656_365_11391.jpg

Ron

what kind of flow do you have over them?

I moved mine right along the glass where I know the flow travels. I'd try that. It's made a huge difference - two were smaller than a dime when I moved them in and have more than doubled in size in the last month or so. It's a 24g so I'm only using a Koralia 1, so you know the flow is not heavy at all. Ron, is your little one a little lower than the others? Maybe it's in a dead area flow-wise?

i have cut the flow way down over my rics and every few days/once a week I target feed a mix of phytoplex and mysis

Hey Jason whats happening?

Target feeding phytoplex and mysis....nubee question, what's is that stuff?

what kind of flow do you have over them?

I have two koraila 1s crossing 6-8in overhead. And the output for the return about 4in up and right. Any flow they get is indirect.

All the rics are at basically the same level. If very well could be flow is getting blocked...never thought about that. Thanks Hilary. If he is not attahed to the rock I may move him and see what happens.

Ron

i have cut the flow way down over my rics and every few days/once a week I target feed a mix of phytoplex and mysis

Target feeding? How does that work? I did watch one snag a mysis that landed on it once. I tried to target feed a couple times after that but got no response. I can also say they have not split or grown very rapidly either. So maybe youre on to something!!!

Ron

I talked to Sean about this same issue with mine. I had a green one that was growing HUGE - growing several extra mouths, but then it just started to shrink when I started carbon dosing. Anyway, some of these apparently do better in higher-nutrient environments, so I'd fathom a guess that a little nitrate is good for these, like Sam said. Same with Xenia, by the way!

Also, mine won't eat anything that isn't chopped really fine. I got a small $5 no-name food processor, and I use it to pulverize a mysis/phytoplankton/amino acid mixture that I feed twice a month to my LPS and rics.

I recently moved mine lower to make room for an awesome SPS piece, and when I moved them lower in the tank, they actually got bigger. Probably just trying to absorb more light. At any rate, they look a lot better, so maybe play around with placement a bit.

Lastly, unless you're cycling your tank or are having big problems, I don't know that I'd check for ammonia really frequently. If you have a big ammonia problem after the tank is established, you'll see it in the tank inhabitants, AND you'd probably observe a nitrate spike. Since most people have some problem with nitrate creep, I'd get yourself a test for that.