how to make a vho light ballast

Guest bill33

Guest bill33

hello, i am setting up a 29 gallon i need to have good lights so i can grow the good stuff like sps. i have a 10 gallon with 4 13 watt pc lights. i want to get vho cause i herd that is good. i want to make if for cheap so i dont have to spend a lot of $$$ so can you help me..

Billy

Guest Amber Nussbaum

Why don't you look on Ebay for one of the Icecap ballasts.. I was able to get the 660 (the more powerful one) for $110 shipped. You can surely get the smaller one for less. Check the reefcentral forum for selling too. Lighting was the most expensive part of my tank so far.. I think if you want good lights, you're gonna spend some $$, you can't get out of it.

Or, maybe try a naturally sunlit reef. I know a couple people have done it, send a PM to K9Decoy on Reefcentral. He has a nice tank with no lights but the sun.

Good luck.

Guest bill33
how do they have no lights but have a reef

Also check hellolights.com and also look for the Fulham workhorse ballast.  I think it will run vho's.  You will be limitted to 24" bulbs.

I would think you could get up to three 24" VHO's on a Fulham Workhorse 7.  I believe they are rated for 220W.  The question is how many do you want?  They can be had for a lot less than the IceCaps.

Guest bill33
im gettin the 4 24 inch 75 watt vho at www.hellolights.com  an im installing them in the hood

The easiest solution would be an IceCap 430 I believe.  You might even find one on E-bay relatively cheap.  I do think you could use two Fulham WH7's ballasts to do all four for a budget solution.  If you decide to go this route, let me know and I can tell you how to wire them up.  It probably is not in the fulham list of diagrams.

Guest bill33
ok um i cant find the fullham on the web site    can you direct me

Guest bill33
ok its not letting me go ill try another time