Freshwater Dip

alan mcilvried

Came across an article that suggests a freshwater dip before introduction of all new fish to a QT. After cruising the net a bit, there is a lot of information about this topic, including M Blue and Formalin dips. Some of the suggested procedures are quite involved. Of course, everyone writing about it thinks it's critical.

So,

1) Who is doing it here and how much trouble do you go to, or is it just a dip-n-go?

2) Do you feel it's effective, a waste of time, or stressful to the fish?

Mostly just curious. Getting ready to re-stock my tank after a round of ich and everything is going into the QT anyway.

Al

I only resort to dips if the infection is is in a later stage where my goal has been to minize the impact of ich

i personally prefer not to do dips, it causes stress and some species dont take too well to it like wrasse, other like clownfish are more hardy.

I would get a UV sterilizer and run that as a precautionary measure.

cleaner shrimp, neon gobies do their bit to get rid of it as well from time to time. but they take to tangs more than other fish.

the best thing i have used to tackle it was good variety of food dipped in garlic and spirulina

just a summary of everything i have tried.

happy fish resist ich

:biggrin:

Came across an article that suggests a freshwater dip before introduction of all new fish to a QT. After cruising the net a bit, there is a lot of information about this topic, including M Blue and Formalin dips. Some of the suggested procedures are quite involved. Of course, everyone writing about it thinks it's critical.

So,

1) Who is doing it here and how much trouble do you go to, or is it just a dip-n-go?

Mostly just curious. Getting ready to re-stock my tank after a round of ich and everything is going into the QT anyway.

Al

As long as you're careful (temp and pH the same as what the fish as been acclimated to, and watch the fish for signs of distress) my guess/experience is that it does *slightly* more good than harm. My hunch is that a dip does kill bad things, and that it does no harm to a non-stressed fish in decent health. On the other hand, if the fish is already stressed or sick, a dip can be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

What I do now is just leave them in quarantine at normal salinity for a month, same thing as what my display tanks have, with no dip, and when I move them to the display tanks I do a dip. Presumably, they're healthy and unstressed at that point. At least, I haven't lost any fish doing that.....

Just my experience. I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say.

I use a 30-60 min formalin dip with heavy aeration for external parasites before putting a new fish into the quarantine tank. I check the fish every 10-15 minutes to make sure they're tolerating the treatment well.

Once in the QT, I treat with praziquantel/metronidazole for internal parasites, per the manufacturer's instructions. The API instructions calls for 4 days of this, IIRC.

Then either hyposalinity (21 days) or the transfer method (12 days) to treat for ich.

Regarding pH being the same...

I actually thought one of the main points on a dip was that parasites suffered from pH shock rapidly due to their small size when you did a freshwater dip and they fell off or died as a result...

Regarding pH being the same...

I actually thought one of the main points on a dip was that parasites suffered from pH shock rapidly due to their small size when you did a freshwater dip and they fell off or died as a result...

I think it's supposed to be the change in salinity/specific gravity of the water. The bugs don't too very well with osmosis and they basically explode, so I've been told. No doubt pH plays a role too, but it's supposed to stress the fish more.

However, I've wondered about that. Fish have impermeable skins, so unless they drink alot of fresh water during the dip it doesn't seem like any reasonable difference in pH would be that big a deal. Perhaps it interferes with the transfer of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the gills?

If anyone is knowledgeable about this, I'd be interested to hear from some one who really knows.

Edited by astroboy

So,

Al

I always perform a 10 minute fresh water dip with mythel blue on my fish before putting them in QT. I have done this with two angels and a trigger, but intend to keep doing it. I follow these instructions: http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-...ine-fishes.html

I have never purchased a fish that was visually sick, or had spots and always spend at least an hour observing the fish in the store before purchasing.

Of course I say this now, after not doing this with my first fish and losing him to incompetence.

I personally think doing a freshwater dip is a must.