Anthias

schulzjp

What are peoples opinions on tank size for anthias? I saw that live aquaria recommends 125, but Im skeptic on this. I have seen a single anthias in a 40 tank with no problem. I have also read that you need atleast 75 gallons to keep more than one. So i just wanted to see what people think.

Id like to put three in a 90 gallon. Also, if i put 3 females in there, what is the chance of one turnign into a male (trying to get out of paying the extra $$$ for the male, haha).

I have three Lyrtail anthias that are doing very well in a what is approximately a 90. In fact I would sell those three if you are interested. LMK

What are peoples opinions on tank size for anthias? I saw that live aquaria recommends 125, but Im skeptic on this. I have seen a single anthias in a 40 tank with no problem. I have also read that you need atleast 75 gallons to keep more than one. So i just wanted to see what people think.

Id like to put three in a 90 gallon. Also, if i put 3 females in there, what is the chance of one turnign into a male (trying to get out of paying the extra $$$ for the male, haha).

Chances are.... GOOD!

I purchased three females. Larger two killed the smallest one - larger of those two turned into a male. Overnight.

bob

Chances are.... GOOD!

I purchased three females. Larger two killed the smallest one - larger of those two turned into a male. Overnight.

bob

Agreed. Its always best to start with a Male to avoid the females killing each other.

I've got 2 in my 80g cube (total volume 120g) and they're doing good. The bigger one STARTED to turn into a male and then gave up half way. Has the male fin, but the female colors.

My male - perhaps the largest lyretail in the world - suffered one of those 'mysterious fish deaths' after about 2 years. The female was distraught, and killed herself about a week later. I think she liked the big guy.

bob

With Anthias, once you have them established in a tank (females) is it possible to introduce a male or other females? If so, what are the rules? Smaller or larger?

Problem with that - you can't have (females) established in a tank. By the time they are established, one of them will have become a male. I don't know if the other females would allow a new one to enter their harem. The smallest in the harem seems to get picked on - so if you added a same-sized or larger female, you could probably get away with it.

bob

Problem with that - you can't have (females) established in a tank. By the time they are established, one of them will have become a male. I don't know if the other females would allow a new one to enter their harem. The smallest in the harem seems to get picked on - so if you added a same-sized or larger female, you could probably get away with it.

bob

I've had mine for 6 months and the larger one hasn't progressed anymore towards being a male. She developed the tall fin and then stopped. No color change or size changes.