What is this?

wfoxfox

so it has probably grown way past the mushroom/toadstool 'looking' phase........ The 'book' I have says the leathers are all 'solid' in the middle - which this may be 6 inches down :-)

It is just getting too big for my tank. Can I cut it back/frag it?

An easy way to frag these types of leathers is to cut it into pie shaped sections. Cut almost to the center but leave all the pieces attached. Wait till the pie shaped sections have healed, then cut off every other one. After a few months, the cut-off sections will have grown and you can start the process again.

This looks like a sacrophyton of some type. Cut it any way you want. I used to take outer ring cuts off mine, and cut the ring into pieces. There must be more than thirty people in the club with my sacro now. My sacro recovered within a week or 2.

Looks like it might be ORA Green sarcophyton - but it's an odd growth pattern for it. As you mentioned, they are usually flat, or rounded on the top, while yours is concave.

You can frag it most any way you want. I take slices from the edges of mine, then strap them down to a tile with bridal veil across the middle tightly. This generally creates two corals - one on each side of the strap.

bob

I have one that looks exactly like that. When I bought it from a member I was told that it was a yellow Fiji leather. My midas blenney loved to perch inside of it and peek out.