feeding refugium fish

treesprite

Is it really necessary to put food in the refugium to feed a damsel, or will it be able to eat pods and stuff? I don't have really any bits of food going in there from the tank because I use filter bags to trap it from getting past the outflow pipes.

Is it really necessary to put food in the refugium to feed a damsel, or will it be able to eat pods and stuff? I don't have really any bits of food going in there from the tank because I use filter bags to trap it from getting past the outflow pipes.

I hear a lot about people keeping fish in the fuge, but that seems to defeat the purpose, which is to offer microfauna a refuge from fish and other predators.

Unless you have a huge fuge, the damsel will probably eat any pods much faster than they can reproduce. You need to feed him if you want to keep him there long term, but you should consider moving him out of the fuge altogether.

Maybe I will put him in the 10g wannabe frag tank that is between teh sump and refugium, if I'm going to have to add extra food to the tank may as well.

I believe there are, unfortunately, way more than enough nutrients in my water to feed the macros without having to have bits of food going into the refugium to rot.

The fish is in QT right now. I had one of these for many years prior to it carpet surfing, and given that I have really missed that fish, when I saw some in the store I could not resist getting one. The last one I had of this type was a killer.

damsel.jpg

Unless you have a huge fuge, the damsel will probably eat any pods much faster than they can reproduce. You need to feed him if you want to keep him there long term, but you should consider moving him out of the fuge altogether.

I agree with Jon. It defeats the purpose of the fuge and would get him out of it.

I agree with Jon. It defeats the purpose of the fuge and would get him out of it.

He's actually still in the quarantine tank, got a couple weeks to go.