T5 Bulb Recommendations

sdah0414

Upgrading the lighting on my 100g from PCs to T5's. I've got the icecap ballasts, now it's down to bulb choices. The tank is 60" long and I'll be running 6 bulbs. Does anyone have recommendations on manufacturers and colors for 6 bulbs? Or is it as easy as 3 10k's and 3 420 actinics? Any recommendations or experiences are appreciated.

With your color combo it will be washed out. I would go with one ATI Pro Color , 3 blue plus, one 1200K ATI Aquablue, and one True Actinic 03 T5. You can find many more examples and advise at reefcentral in the lighting forum.

David

The latest recommendation from the "grim reefer" on reefcentral is

3 ATI Blue Plus, 2 UVL 75/25, 1 GE 6500K Daylight

He seems to be the one person everyone asks about T-5's.

I just so happen to have an icecap 6 light 48" setup on my 90, have ordered these bulbs, and expect them delivered tomorrow..

Also, I live in shannondale, youre welcome to come see what it looks like this weekend.

Victor

Also, I bought them from Reefgeek.com on Monday.

I had a 6500K before and I believe it turned my SPS's brown.

Here's what I have and it's on Grim's website:

3 Blue +

1 AquaSun

1 Actinic

1 Aquablue

Ok so I have read over most of "Grims" suggestions. I will be doing a 5 bulb retro and here are my 2 options what do you think.

ATI Blue +

AquaBlue

AquaSun

AquaBlue

ATI Blue +

or

ATI Blue +

UVL 75/25

AquaSun

ATI Blue +

AquaBlue

when you place your order, pick up a couple extra of each. you'll think that you have a good combo on paper, but once you fire you'll want to tweek the color a little. also consider ordering a bulb or 2 of the colors that you didnt mention, i.e. figi purple and uvl actinic. if you dont use the bulbs immediately, you may need them down the road for something else.

good luck!

One thing to note if you are going to use T5 actinics they do not make your corals "pop". They do not even come close to the look of a T12 bulb! I started off with a 6 bulb set up and switched to a four bulb set up supplemented by two ULV Super R Actincs (T12). Even over-driven on Icecap ballasts the T5 actinics just don't cut it. Grim is the man over on RC with recommendations and has tested just about every combo. If you are concerned with how much PAR you will be getting from a suggested bulb he even has the information on which bulbs put out the most PAR.

As shawns mentioned what ever combination you choose order extra bulbs. You may get the bulbs fire them up and not like the color depending on the ballast you are using. It is good to have some extra ones on hand to tweak the color to just the way you want it.

Grim's Website

Ok few more questions......

Bulbs for the T5 36'' retro kit? I will be adding 2 (one front one back) T12 actinics........so what four bulb combo?

Thinking.....

T12 Actinic

ATI AcuaSun

ATI AquaBlue

ATI ProColor

ATI Blue Plus

T12 Acinic

What about wattage? 24w or 39w? it is the 660 running 4x36'', andI will be getting either another 660 or a 430 to run the T12s.

Tank is a 65g tall and I want to grow everything?

Thanks for all the help thus far.