DIY Sump - Rubbermaid, other...

Guest Kimo

Guest Kimo

I am setting up my 180 SPS tank this week, but I am still in need of a sump.  I would like to get an acrylic sump, but due to cost and time I need to set up a temporary solution - SO

Have any of you sucessfully set up a sump with an exzternal return pump using a rubbermaid container (or similar)?  Where would I find a suitable container?  Do you have any pics?

Any information would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Jamie

You can get rubbermaid tubs at home depot, target, walmart, etc, etc.  The biggest drawback of a rubbermaid tub of any size is it bows out a lot when filled.  You can get a more rigid storage container, but they don't come as big as rubbermaid tubs.  I think you can get rubbermaid tubs for farming applications that are heavier, but they tend to be larger - 100g +.  

I would check the boards and the newspaper.  Used acrylic and glass tanks pop up pretty regularly in the 40g range.  If you're not in a huge hurry check them out.

Hope this helps.

Marty

Guest cbo

I recently built an acrylic sump using scrap acrylic from ACME plastics in alexandria.  It was not as cheap as I expected, but still pretty good.  They charge around $2 per pound for the scrap stuff.  I looked around and found some big pieces of .25 inch clear, and got the weld-on glue for a good price.  I think I got 25 lbs of plastic and the $14.99 glue, he made me a deal and I think I payed $30, plus I still have lots of acylic left over.  If you decide to go that route I can make some recommendations on glueing or you can contact prevyet on this board, he has done alot of acrylic work, as well as just about everything else it seems too.

cbo

Go to TRT.  They have some large setups using rubbermaid tubs.  They do not sell the tubs, but if you want to look at how it is done, that is a good place to look.

They sell the fittings you need to implement the tub as a sump/'fuge.

I have seen several members tanks w/ rubbermaid sumps.  I have a 33gal rubber maid refugium on my tank and it works great.  I made a hood from scrap 1x6's and plywood to hold the lights.  This sits down around the top lip and keeps it from bowing.

I think what prevyet suggested, or some other form of re-inforcement (such as stacking 2 tubs) would prevent failure problems from bowing.  Some sort of frame for it.....

Michael

I think the frame idea would work great for a fuge where you have space.  But for a sump, usually it's crammed/shoved/shoe-horned under the stand and space is a premium.  Not sure if a bulky frame would fit.  Great idea tho.  Those of you fortunate enough to have space or a 'fish room' have a little more leeway.  I'll try to plan that into my next house.  :;):

As yes- those plans of the next house.  I think of them frequently :)  Pez has given me a good model to follow.....  Though I hope to go through the floor into the basement :))

thus keeping the tank in a main room...

Michael

Ah yes, the "next house" plans.  I'll do as quazi points-out and have one of those  huge feeding-trough type sumps like in the middle of the floor in TRT.  It will be filled with a DSB and several different macros and mangroves and behind that I'll have partridge in a pear tree.     ???