Stand Building

trockafella

Something that can support 250.5 LBS. You could use something like this is you wanted to, which is what I used for a 29gallon.

Not much. 2x4s can support an awful lot if you orient them correctly. I tend to overbuild everything, but if you look at your typical stand, there's not much to them. For a 30 gallon tank, maybe 6 2x4 spans at best.

Probably less than you think. I would lean toward what YBeNormal would advise, but I'd think that you could use 1/2" or 5/8" plywood with little or no beam structure required. My 180 sits on a frameless stand built around 3/4" plywood.

3/4" plywood or hardwood for the front, sides and back. No 2x4s (or 2x10s in Dave's case ;) ) required. Example: This stand is built with 3/4" plywood sides and top and has a 3/4" oak trim for the front. It doesn't even have panels on the back at all and it is supporting one 75g tank and two 10g tanks.

Dscn4059.jpg

Not to hi jack, but Bob, are you set up to build some paint grade doors to order?

I just built a custom stand over the weekend but I don't have the tools to build doors.

Is that something you can handle? I'm thinking some standard inset shaker type.

Tanks

I was looking at the stand build thread of the stand Bob(ybnormal) built for weaponX. It appears he has a complete shop and the work looks to be better then most proffeisonal built stand I have seen.

Thanks.. Yeah I am the type who will try to overbuild something for the sake of a secure feeling.. I was hoping to put the 30gal on a stand and my sump (which is the same size) underneath..The 30gal is going to be my frag tank.. I dont have to put them on top of one another, just though it would be space saving... So its safe to say that 2x4's would be fine... How much support is needed as far across the top of the stand..? I know wood is much stronger than i want to believe.. Also, is pressure treated wood better..?

You'll be more than fine with a 2x4 infrastructure. I had 2x4's under my 90 at one time. That's a load of over 1000# when the rock and sand is considered.

Pressure treated wood is no stronger than the base wood. The term "pressure treated" refers to the process where preservatives are forced into the wood grain using both vacuum and positive pressure. One thing that you may consider, though" The chemical preservatives that are often used in treating wood contain copper. While not in contact with your water, it's better to go into it knowing this than to find out later.

So i was wondering around lowes on lunch, and found a shelving unit that is the perfect size, but it is made of steel... Is this a real problem..? I know they sell metal tank stands, and i understand metal/water/electricity combo.. But this unit would work perfect, and each shelf has a 1000# capacity... Chubakah you mentioned the metal stand, so i take it you are ok with them, any other feelings on it... Thanks..

I once bought a metal stand from either lowes or HD cant remember which for this purpose and within 6 months it was completely rusted. I wouldn't recomend this

HMMM... Well, 6 months might be all i need for this, but that would make it kind of a waste... I could build a wood stand, but i work 55-60 hours a week, and i dont feel like building things when i get home.. Which is a personal problem, i know.. That stand i found was perfect to... Exactly what i needed in a box.. I suppose i could rust proof it (i used to rust proof vehicles).. Hmm.. guess i will have to make a decision...