Material between tank and stand - PVC pipe support

bph

Howdy all,

It has been a little over a year (lived in a rental so didn't want to set it up, then moved to my new home and it took a while to get unpacked) and I have just bought some pvc pipe to get my tank up and running, but I have a question before I go too far. Is there some sort of cushion material necessary between the tank and the stand? If so what is it and where do I get it?

Another question: The pvc pipe under the tank, how do you support the weight? For my application, I have the pvc pipe going from both sides of the tank (the drains) to the middle, where I will have it go through the wall to the sump in the other room. This is a long horizontal run of pvc pipe hanging from the bulkheads and I want to support it somehow.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

The material between the tank and the stand is used if you are using a less than ideal stand (IE a diy job) that might not be flush on top. The cushion keeps the stand from flexing the tank.

You could use velcro to attach the pipes, or I've seen pipe holder clamps screwed to the stand.

Howdy all,

It has been a little over a year (lived in a rental so didn't want to set it up, then moved to my new home and it took a while to get unpacked) and I have just bought some pvc pipe to get my tank up and running, but I have a question before I go too far. Is there some sort of cushion material necessary between the tank and the stand? If so what is it and where do I get it?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

People use the sheets of foam insulation you can buy from lowe's as the cushion. I think they come in different thicknesses, but I would target something like 1/2". The sheets I think are 4x8'. I've never used it myself even though all my stands are DIY, but it would have given me more peace of mind.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Thanks for all the feedback. So, I have a AGA tank and bought the AGA stand that goes with it. Seems pretty study. You guys still recommend I use some foam? Now is the time to get it under that tank ;)

Thanks for all the feedback. So, I have a AGA tank and bought the AGA stand that goes with it. Seems pretty study. You guys still recommend I use some foam? Now is the time to get it under that tank ;)

I wouldn't bother.