Lost Juv. Emperor Angelfish, want to figure out why.

sheac12

I lost my favorite fish a Juv. Emperor Angel this morning and I need/hope someone can help me figure out what I did wrong.

I have had him for over a year now and he was steadily growing and changing color. Sunday night when I went to bed his color was really good, he was swimming around and eating from my hand. Yesterday at some point two things happened. 1 my main pump died, this killed the circulation to the heater, and 2 the temperature dropped like a rock because water was not moving across the heater. I didn't notice either of these, I was exhausted due to driving 14 hours the day before.

By the time I saw the temperature, it was 60F and the Emperor was no where to be seen. My Huma Huma was swimming around looking for food and appeared just fine. I threw in a new heater, moved the old one to a new spot directly in the tank so both where in the main tank to stabilize the temperature. I was able to slowly up the temperature and started a water change at the same time. In the end I was able to find the Juv. Emperor stuck/laying on its side under a rock. I was able to get it to move, but not far. When it moved I could see its colors had become extremely faded, I will attach a photo later, but from the dorsal spine down to the middle of the body. He huddled at the bottom of the tank, unable to swim correctly and seem to get "thrown" around in the feeble current.

I started testing the water and found everything was good except for my PH which was 8.8 according to my test kit. My PH is still stuck at 8.8 but I don't know if it is my test kit or the water really is at 8.8.

I found my Juv Emperor Angel this morning sucked into my power head. However, my corals seem to be fine, as does my Huma Huma, fat son of a gun was begging for food this morning when I had to flush my Juv.

I don't know if I lost my Juv. due to the temperature or something else, any ideas suggestions are appreciated.

this exact thing happened to me a week ago with my bi-color angel. Except it was salinity. It had gotten up to 1.029 without me knowing and I slowly lowered it using 1 gallon of water every 2 hours which ended up bringing the water from 1.029 to 1.028 and then from 1.028 to about 1.026. About 5 min after putting the water in, I saw my bi-color getting pushed around in the water, so I shut the pumps off and it just lead on its side, I managed to get it to move a little and it swam to under a rock where it "lead down" again. 15 min later it tried to swim and ended up doing somer saults (no idea how to spell that :lol2:) and flipping all over the place. it died about 5 min later-stopped "breathing" and snails were all over it eating it... The concensus was that it was poor acclimation and that's what it sounds like with you...

this exact thing happened to me a week ago with my bi-color angel. Except it was salinity. It had gotten up to 1.029 without me knowing and I slowly lowered it using 1 gallon of water every 2 hours which ended up bringing the water from 1.029 to 1.028 and then from 1.028 to about 1.026. About 5 min after putting the water in, I saw my bi-color getting pushed around in the water, so I shut the pumps off and it just lead on its side, I managed to get it to move a little and it swam to under a rock where it "lead down" again. 15 min later it tried to swim and ended up doing somer saults (no idea how to spell that :lol2:) and flipping all over the place. it died about 5 min later-stopped "breathing" and snails were all over it eating it... The concensus was that it was poor acclimation and that's what it sounds like with you...

By poor acclimation you mean to the new temperature change?

yes, with me, all the other fish and corals were fine, it was just that fish, so something with that fish was wrong and it didn't acclimate as well as the others. My guess would be that your angel didn't acclimate well with the temp change but all the other fish did fine. It probably occured when the temperature went down, not up if you didn't see him...at least that would be my guess...

yes, with me, all the other fish and corals were fine, it was just that fish, so something with that fish was wrong and it didn't acclimate as well as the others. My guess would be that your angel didn't acclimate well with the temp change but all the other fish did fine. It probably occured when the temperature went down, not up if you didn't see him...at least that would be my guess...

Thanks, I guess I feel a little better then before.

So sorry for your loss. Losing fish, especially a favorite fish, is a bummer.

Edited by FishWife