Multiple tangs in a tank

lman

I currently have one tang in my tank (300 gal) and want to add some additional tangs. I have done a lot or research on-line, best tangs, ...

One thing that was not mentioned was how best to add the tangs, one at a time, all at the same time. My current tang is a black tang that I have had for over two years (before prices got crazy) any suggestions on how to add and types of tangs to add.

Thanks

mixing different species and taking into account the differences in aggression levels just like stocking any other fish. In a 300 you have more leeway because of the size of the tank. if you are adding multiple zebrasoma or acanthurus, you should do those at the same time. if you're adding another of the same species later, then you want the new addition to be larger than the existing one to mitigate aggression. within species, yellows tend to be more docile than purples, sohals are much more aggressive than powder blues but both tend to be more aggressive than yellows, etc. use these considerations when adding. you should always be prepared to rearrange your rockwork to break up established territories.

After QT of the fish, I would add them all at once to spread any aggression. [i have multiple tangs in a 210 - added all at once when I upgraded from 2 tanks to the 210]

few threads on Reef Centeral - reef fishes you may want to look at; here is one: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1534314

I would do what gator said. I have the same setup 210 gallon and have 5 or 6 tangs. If you can catch the 1 tang you have and remove him for a couple of days and then add him back I think that would help as well but I do think if you add a bunch at the same time they shuld be alright.

When I had my 210 set up I had a Black Tang, Red Sea Sailfin, Chevron, Powder Blue added in that order. From my limited experience, the Black Tang is a more docile tang and should be added first. The Powder Blue on the other hand tends to be more aggressive and should be added last and should be smaller than the others.

I had a purple originally then added a yellow. The purple beat the snot out of him for 3 days then they were friends.

Then I added a sailfin and naso at the same time with no problems.

Then I added a hippo tang with no problems.

Then I added a lavendar tang. He picked on the hippo and other fish. He was removed.

Then I added a clown tang. He picks on the hippo tang and is on the list for removal.

The Purple, Yellow, Sailfin, Naso and Hippo tang have NO problems ever. I would recommend these tangs in the same tank.

I would not put a lavendar, clown or sohal in with others. I dont know about others... I would like a black tang someday but I am done with tangs for now....

My tank is 7' long so they have some room. Everything above is from personal experience and I have no idea if you will have similar results.

My first Tang was Sailfin, then Hippo, Then Yellow , Vlamingi, and finally Lavender. Each one after the Yellow was picked on by th Yellow and Sailfin for a couple of days. All are buddies now. Off the spieces, I also have Pink Tail and Blue Throat Trigger in my 265 Gal.

I have a Yellow and Unicorn. I had a Sohal but he passed away recently due to my lack of due diligence. I added them all at different times the Unicorn came first. Then came the Sohal. Then came the Yellow as a rescue. The Yellow got repeatedly beaten up but the water quality was good and feeding was regular so he was able to heal up well and eventually got along. Then I lost the Sohal (1st sohal, not the more recent loss) due to HLLE caused by an extended power outage and current leak in a spare tank. When I got another Sohal there was some ... "negotiation" about territory but they worked it out in short order.