Acropora growth under 4 T5s

amos

First off, this is by no means an endorsement of using 4 T5s over any tank. Nor is this intended to "prove" anything. Just sharing some personal experiences in trying some acropora in my 90 gallon.

If I did everything again (and had the funds), I might have splurged for a 6 bulb fixture for flexibility and a better color mix. But as it was, I kept my 4 bulb Tek Light when I upgraded and am continually searching for data on what might be kept successfully. Montis have had a great track record, but wasn't sure how a more light-demanding acropora might fare, and couldn't find much by ways of anecdotal experience.

Thanks to reefhunter, I acquired a nice green slimer frag back in august - which is rated as moderate-high light demanding species but has a good reputation for adapting to light conditions. My lights are maybe 3" off the water (the lowest setting with the legs). The frag base is down about 6" from the top of the water. I'm using a combo of 3 ATI Blue Plus and 1 GE 6500k, which according to grimreefer's numbers, is a total PAR of 1273. If you go by their specified 6 bulb configuration, you get a PAR of 1612.

Pics depict growth over 4.5 months.

August 5:

greenslimer080508.jpg

October 27:

greenslimer102708.jpg

December 16:

greenslimer121608.jpg

Looking good! Looks like you managed to bring down your nutrients as well which would have had an impact on the growth of SPS since they tend to thrive in low nutrient environments.

grows like a weed... I had a TINY piece break off and fall a few inches below the colony... now I have another colony...

I think you would do well with almost all the corals in my auction...

BTW.. there is a good sized piece of this coral in the auction that ends tonight if anyone is interested...

Edited by reefhunter

Looking good! Looks like you managed to bring down your nutrients as well which would have had an impact on the growth of SPS since they tend to thrive in low nutrient environments.

Sean,

Actually, I haven't done anything to specifically bring down nutrients after the introduction of the acropora. What's interesting is this tank is 80% mushrooms, which supposedly thrive on higher nutrients and grow incredibly rapidly in the tank. Perhaps I should do some testing.

Jon

Sean,

Actually, I haven't done anything to specifically bring down nutrients after the introduction of the acropora. What's interesting is this tank is 80% mushrooms, which supposedly thrive on higher nutrients and grow incredibly rapidly in the tank. Perhaps I should do some testing.

Jon

Interesting indeed! I only made my observation based on the algae present in the first picture that is not apparent in the second 2.

Interesting indeed! I only made my observation based on the algae present in the first picture that is not apparent in the second 2.

Good observation! I need to take some better notes on the tank (and maybe test more regularly). Thanks for pointing that out. I remember reading that many of these corals are alot hardier and can adapt more readily than we realize.

Jon