My experience at Roozen's today

extreme_tooth_decay

I know this is a religious issue for some people, and I don't want to rehash the old argument, but I thought some folks may be interested to hear about my experience at Roozen's today:

I was in search of a big emerald crab for Crustacean Wars. I looked at 3 other LFS and saw a total of about 5 crabs, all too small. I was able to look through about 250 emerald crabs at Roozen's and pick a couple bigguns.

I immediately noticed when I went in that things looked hugely better there than they did the last time I was there. The last time I was there (a month or 2 ago), the place had really seriously gone downhill. This time was much better. While I still wouldn't say the tanks were "clean" (some of them actually were), there was a very clear improvement in the number of pest anemones, corpses, and overall dinginess. Good job.

Also, they were having a BBQ. On my way out, I got a big plate of BBQ (chicken, ribs, beans, hot dogs, etc). No charge (I think because I bought something). It was great.

I was pleasantly surprised all the way around.

I only saw 2 mantis shrimp there, both small/medium (3-4"). They were both very beautiful (one a pale green, the other a striking golden color). Both were smashers. When I remarked to the employee (can't recall his name, black guy that has been there forever...Shawn?) that I was feeding the emeralds to my mantis, he went ahead and tossed an emerald into the specimen containers with the 2 mantis shrimps. heh. Unfortunately neither went for the crab. Probably they were not happy, not having burrows, sand, etc. Or they could be nocturnal mantises. Or they could be on death's door. Don't know.

tim

Yeah, they have been actually taking time to clean out some of the tanks. I was there about a week ago, and they had just gotten in a bunch of Sohals. I was so tempted, but decided it just wasn't a good idea with my 92gal.

I still don't know why they haven't started taking care of the large tank you see when you first walk into the greenhouse. It literally looks like an aptasia farm. All those poor clams inside.

They just cleaned out the front tank as well. I think it was done 2 or 3 days ago. I was just at Roozens today and got a burger as well as my salt. He plans on turning it into an anthias tank. I think that could have potential

They just cleaned out the front tank as well. I think it was done 2 or 3 days ago. I was just at Roozens today and got a burger as well as my salt. He plans on turning it into an anthias tank. I think that could have potential

It has already been an anthias tank about 10 years ago- had some rare ones too.

Was there today and wow what a difference! Many of the tanks were much cleaner (inside and out), corals had more room, and there was a tank dedicated to quite large colonies of Acan lords and Blasto wellsi (which I don't see very often anymore). Jos goofed around with me about the prices of the colonies, but I knew I couldn't afford them when I saw them. The front tank was very clean, and even had nice 2" maximas in it. I would have gotten one, but I don't think that there prices could hang w/ Sonny's. I did pick up the juvi peacock mantis, so the pale green one is still there. It already appears more comfortable w/ rock and pvc to start a burrow. I placed it in my fuge, but it will probably get its own tank shortly. Next step is to read up and sex it so that the GF can name it. I am pleased to see that they are taking more care of things - maybe it's b/c they don't have to focus on plant and landscaping during the winter.

Was there today and wow what a difference! Many of the tanks were much cleaner (inside and out), corals had more room, and there was a tank dedicated to quite large colonies of Acan lords and Blasto wellsi (which I don't see very often anymore). Jos goofed around with me about the prices of the colonies, but I knew I couldn't afford them when I saw them. The front tank was very clean, and even had nice 2" maximas in it. I would have gotten one, but I don't think that there prices could hang w/ Sonny's. I did pick up the juvi peacock mantis, so the pale green one is still there. It already appears more comfortable w/ rock and pvc to start a burrow. I placed it in my fuge, but it will probably get its own tank shortly. Next step is to read up and sex it so that the GF can name it. I am pleased to see that they are taking more care of things - maybe it's b/c they don't have to focus on plant and landscaping during the winter.

Fellow mantis owner...

"You can sex most mantis by looking at its tail from below when it is backed up against the glass. If it has two small sticks sticking inwards it is a male. If it has 2 spots close together it is a female. Some types of mantises can be sexed by color."

Did you get the golden mantis or the very small peacock?

Yep, found out sexing them almost like sexing a lobster. Unfortunately, there was no golden mantis. I did see one there about 2 months ago (maybe there were some color shifts?). I picked up the peacock.

Zoozilla - the peacock is about 3" long and cost me $40. I figured it was a good price considering stomatopod dot com charges about the same + shipping. Of course the least expensive route would be to find someone else's unwanted hitchhiker.

LOL, you're next for mantis #2.

Oh, you've got 2 now, eh? Congrats!

I've been trying to get my new mantis setup completed. I have been eying a zebra (spearer), but I don't really have a good home for him yet. Almost bought him a couple times, but I'll just wait. People need to hurry up and finish buying my equipment so I can move along.

I guess it's your turn to post a few carnage videos.

tim

• 1 month later...

Roozens got a few new workers that have been working hard to keep the tanks clean. And talked yas into ordering some acans and sps corals. They got some acan duncans blasas and some nice sps in last week.

I can attest to this .

Roozens has real aussie acan colonies right now. I have never ever seen such huge colonies in any of the LFS that I've visited.

The side with the corals is now also being maintained by an industrial size Grey Seas media reactor with 2.5 lbs of Reef Choice PhosBgone and 5 pounds of Reef choice carbon run through it with a mag 9, changed out each month. They have been very happy with the results. You can see the reactor from the side where the live rock bins are if you look just past the bin of live sand they have for sale.