Acquiring fish directly from the ocean.

bkl911

Just wondering if anyone has ever caught fish, quarantined them and then stuck them into their aquarium? I have an opportunity to get some Tongue fish, Bay Whiff Flounders, various types of shrimp, and some other fish from Florida, and was thinking about eventually throwing them into my aquarium. They will be anywhere from 1-2 inches in size.

Also, if I get them, do I just quarantine them for 4-6 weeks? Do I need to medicate or anything to prevent disease?

If this is the worst idea in the world, please let me know.

There are permits issued byt either the Fedral Goverment or the State of Florida not sure which, but it is expensive and time consuming to get. I know of guys who SCUBA dive in South Africa and they sometimes catch fish and bring them home for there tanks. But to save you time I would rather get farm raised fish for (1) the animal was raised in a tank so it is used to seing humans and being in a tank (2) your doing your part to help conserve the ocean population (3) the animal will be a bit domesticated in the sence it is used to being in a tank and living with otehr close inhabitants.

My thought -- make sure you comply with laws and have any required licenses.

My experience - Yes, as noted in my signature, while living in Jamaica, I kept fish captured around Lime Cay near Kington harbor. My ex did most of the capturing using a "slurp gun" I had purchased in Florida. In this case, I did NOT QT since the ONLY animals going in the tank were the ones that were captured that day.

Steve

Thanks, I do understand there are some laws about taking wildlife out of the ocean, but what is the difference if I catch a fish with a rod/reel to take home to eat...or to take home to throw into my tank. I am not trying to re-sell or trying to endanger any species.

I am just asking, since I do have the opportunity to get some fish from a marine biologist who is studying certain species of fish down in Florida.

Another question is: if I moved to Florida, specifically the Keys (since my parents have a house there), could I just fish off the back of the house where there is a huge canal leading to the Atlantic....and throw these fish into a tank inside the house.

These questions are more for curiosity then anything.

You could, but remember, you'll be subject to Fish and Game Laws now. Some fish are illegal to catch via rod and reel, some fish you have to release when you catch them, some fish have to be a certain length for you to keep. So please make sure that you read up on Fish and Game Laws.

I've seen plenty of folks that have bass, blue gills, etc. in their tanks and they don't get in trouble with them (especially the shops that have these livestock) since the fish are over the regulated size (well, at least that's what I was told from an angling store in Cali).