QT for my tangs

mexicanjavafish

I have a hippo tang that is about 4.5-5 inches long, and a juvenile blue tang that is about 3 inches long.

I mentioned my issue with ich on my tank thread, I'm really worried this time.

I'm considering putting them in a QT tank but would a 12 gallon eclipse bow front be too small for them? It's the only tank I have available and, being a very broke college kid around christmas :lol:....I can't afford much else.

Also what else should i have for them while they are in there? I've never had to do this before, so I'm totally lost.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thanks :]

i think for the amount of time you will need to treat them 12 should be ok, doesn't jason have anything bigger you could use? And as for treating the ich I was told that something along the lines of egg-crate along the bottom to help prevent reinfection as the fish rests on the bb. Also lots of H20 changes. Best wishes! Don't feel alone I have been reading about a few people battling ich, myself included!

i think for the amount of time you will need to treat them 12 should be ok, doesn't jason have anything bigger you could use? And as for treating the ich I was told that something along the lines of egg-crate along the bottom to help prevent reinfection as the fish rests on the bb. Also lots of H20 changes. Best wishes! Don't feel alone I have been reading about a few people battling ich, myself included!

Jason actually owns the 12g that I'm talking about.

I'd either have to move the tangs to his house or we'd have to move the tank to mine. He's currently using the tank but I'm hoping we can move it to my house...I'm worried that moving the tangs would really be pushing the stress levels and would make everything that much worse.

I have a hippo tang that is about 4.5-5 inches long, and a juvenile blue tang that is about 3 inches long.

I mentioned my issue with ich on my tank thread, I'm really worried this time.

I'm considering putting them in a QT tank but would a 12 gallon eclipse bow front be too small for them? It's the only tank I have available and, being a very broke college kid around christmas :lol:....I can't afford much else.

Also what else should i have for them while they are in there? I've never had to do this before, so I'm totally lost.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, thanks :]

The 12 gal will be fine for QT purposes. Add either a HOB filter for water movement, or a small powerhead and an air stone if you do not have an HOB filter. Daily water changes will take care of the ammonia nitrites nitrates build up. Also ad a few large pieces of PVC so they can hide while treated. Lights are not needed for QTing fishies. Have SW batches available.

I would fill the QT tank with water from your main tank and replenish the main tank with the new SW batch. Also ich has a several weeks life span, so it will take that long to eradicate it. I usually do it for twice the life span to make sure that it is really eradicated. Read about ich and treat accordingly.

Link from another ich thread

Just some reading, and scratch the egg-crate idea, the PVC hiding spots is a good idea though.

I think I'm the only person I've ever seen mention eggcrate, but it would have to be several inches from the bottom the higher the better. I set it up in my QT, then realized that the fish can't eat food from the bottom of the tank so I had to ditch the idea.

Ive used a 10G to QT. Your 12 should be fine. Just be sure to check parameters DAILY.

You'll be surprised how quick Nitrates will rise!

I wouldn't QT them in a 12 gallon. You are going to stress them out, especially in close quarters, and you're going to end up with them being sicker than they need to be. Tangs need room to swim because it gives them the opportunity to destress and exercise. Cramming them into a tiny tank will stress them out and have the opposite effect that you're trying to avoid. The more stress the more susceptible they will become to disease. I would avoid the stress of confined spaces. If you have to, QT them in a large dark container, even a garbage can. The more water the better, the more muted the light, the better.

All I did during my ich outbreak was use selcon and garlic soaked into their food, and make sure they got plenty to eat. The only fish that died was the one that brought the ich into the tank with him. It seems to have run its course after about a month, and have never seen any sign of it since. If the fish is really sick with it - you might want to move it to a 'hospital' tank; but I don't know that 'qt' will do you much good, unless you move all of your fish out of the tank for a month. The 'tank' has ich... not just the fish.

bob