Back in the saddle...

cbatkinson

I've been out of the hobby for a while...used to have a 37 gallon fish only tank and then moved to a 55 gallon fish only tank...now 10 years later, I'm looking to get back into the hobby and would like to start a tank with some live rock, a few fish and some new corals. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a tank/stand or a used tank/stand and wet-dry filter? I'm thinking about getting a 65 gallon...ANY advice would be appreciated.

No, nothing's wrong, just certain members have been rather lazy recently and don't do the job they're supposed to :lol2:.

Just kidding of course, I had to give him grief because of the amount of times he's been bothered about this lately :clap: YBeNormal takes care of it and it usually takes two days to a week to be confirmed after payment is made.

Thanks....well while I'm waiting.....any thoughts on whether or not a 65gallon would be a good size to start with, and any thoughts on what I'd really need to get up and running?..Some people say I don't need a skimmer right away...others say it is a must have. What about filters? I'm trying to build this in stages and really don't want to end up buying things over and over as I move along...What should I get to start off, and what things should I add over time.

You're 45 mins away from me come over we can have a couple of beers and I'll fill you in on what you've been missing. I can also help you get started give you ideas, and show you 3 examples of different style running tanks.

The 50 breeder rather than the 65 would be a better tank. Same length and width just with out the PITA height. The 75 is better in my opinion if you have the space. A 90, and 120 are also the same foot print as the 75 in lenght and width. Each is taller than the next it just depends on what you're looking for.

Also you've got another PM

Edited by jason the filter freak

Where in Alexandria do you live? You are welcome to come to my place as well. I have a couple of setups of various sizes which could give you some ideas

Thanks....well while I'm waiting.....any thoughts on whether or not a 65gallon would be a good size to start with, and any thoughts on what I'd really need to get up and running?..Some people say I don't need a skimmer right away...others say it is a must have. What about filters? I'm trying to build this in stages and really don't want to end up buying things over and over as I move along...What should I get to start off, and what things should I add over time.

First, I don't know if you're aware, but there's a meeting on Saturday. Anthony Calfo will be speaking and we'll have the usual raffle events as well.

For the size of the tank, the bigger the better. All the interesting fish need large tanks and the larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. The price difference when you're going up in size is negligible when you consider the cost of everything else involved. So I woud consider the footprint - how much floor space can it take up in your house and then go with the biggest tank that fits that footprint. This led me to a 120 - a very popular size. It is 4' long x 2' wide for floor space and 2' deep. The next thing to think about is whether you want a starfire glass front. The glass is much clearer and allows more light to pass than standard glass. It is also much more expensive. If you want that, look at the Oceanic Tech tanks. For equipment, it all depends on what you want to keep. A skimmer is an absolute must from day 1. I wouldn't even try a tank without one unless you have a couple hours a day to work on it. Skimming actually accomplishes one type of mechanical filtration. For your other type, you'll want a sump and likely some filter socks to trap the detritus. Be sure to keep these clean since they will create nitrates as the detritus decomposes.

So, to start your system, look for a reef-ready tank or be ready to drill a non-reef ready tank. You'll need a sump with a couple baffles as bubble traps, filter sock holders (probably 2), and some filter socks. We do group buys on here for filter socks now and then so you'll be much better off to buy them that way than in the store - $3/sock in the group buy vs $12/sock in the store. You'll need a skimmer - be sure to oversize your skimmer and go with one of the better brands: Deltek, Bubble King, Euro Reef, Reeflo are all good, and there's constant debate about what skimmers are better than others so everyone will likely give you a different opinion. If you can find a used GSA or Grey Seas Aquatic skimmer on the board, that's a good option as well. Next you'll need a return pump. You can go either internal (submersible) or external here. I recommend external. If you're going external, get a Reeflo Dart. If you're going submersible, get an Eheim 1262. For external, the PanWorld and Little Giant pumps are also good. For submersible I wouldn't waste my money on anything other than the Eheim. You'll also need a heater, thermometer and if you go with metal halide lights, a chiller. Next you'll need sand, live rock and saltwater. After you plumb everything together and add those you're ready to start cycling. Lights aren't required for the cycle and you're actually better off without them while you cycle. However, before you add any livestock you'll need lights. What lights you pick depends on what you ultimately want to keep. If you're planning to do only softies and lps and limited sps, go with T5 lights. If you're going to do predominantly sps, go with metal halide. Many people have great success with sps under t5, so you're welcome to try that as well. lighting is probably the ultimate discussion among reefers - even more so than skimmers.

That should get you started.