240 going back on line advice needed

jtro

I am finally filling my 240 gallon tank back up. The plan is to fill up with saltwater and start to circulate with my temp setup. Then in a few days start to swapping everything over . The only thing I didn't have running is the sand which I plan on rinsing real well then setting up in my ro can and running with the system for a few eeks. Any suggestions or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

I am finally filling my 240 gallon tank back up. The plan is to fill up with saltwater and start to circulate with my temp setup. Then in a few days start to swapping everything over . The only thing I didn't have running is the sand which I plan on rinsing real well then setting up in my ro can and running with the system for a few eeks. Any suggestions or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Too late!

I would suggest putting the sand in first - then filling it up. Put a large plastic bag on the sand, and a plate on top of the bag - and pour the water in onto the plate. That way the sand doesn't get stirred up. Of course - if it's used sand, and hasn't been cleaned - I guess you have to do that first.

bob

Yes its used sand I also would like the base rock to be solid on the tank bottom that why I am debating putting sand in last. Do you think the sand will cause a spike if I just rinse and put it in?

Edited by jtro

Yes its used sand I also would like the base rock to be solid on the tank bottom that why I am debating putting sand in last. Do you think the sand will cause a spike if I just rinse and put it in?

If you rinse your sand and place in the tank you should be fine after it settles on the bottom. Some people like to place there base rocks in the tank first then pour the sand to make the rocks stable. I do the opposite I find I can landscape the tank better with sand already at the bottom of the tank. Then seed your tank with a cup of old sand from a running tank or a few live rocks and you be set after two weeks.