Problems with Oxygen in 75 gallon tank

Triggerfish31

I am currently having problems with my oxygen levels in my saltwater fish tank. The following are the results of my test that I completed this evening.

Temp- 81F

pH- 8.3

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 0

Magnesium- 100

Salinity- 1.019

Alkalinity- 100

Calcium- 260

Iron- 0

Oxygen 2 mg/L

Phosphate- 0

I am working on getting the: Ca, Magnesium, and Salinity levels up. What would I need to use to get my oxygen level up? Would I use an air pump with air stone and for how long to use it? I have lost one Green Chromis today. The other fish are doing well.

Aaron :fish:

Need more info on your setup to help better. Do you have a sump/return? Do you have a glass top? What kind of water movement do you have?

Aim for more surface agitation. You want the top of the water almost be rippling, at least enough so that you would have to shut the pumps off to see into your tank when looking at it from the top down.

A good skimmer also helps.

I am currently having problems with my oxygen levels in my saltwater fish tank. The following are the results of my test that I completed this evening.

Temp- 81F

pH- 8.3

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 0

Magnesium- 100

Salinity- 1.019

Alkalinity- 100

Calcium- 260

Iron- 0

Oxygen 2 mg/L

Phosphate- 0

I am working on getting the: Ca, Magnesium, and Salinity levels up. What would I need to use to get my oxygen level up? Would I use an air pump with air stone and for how long to use it? I have lost one Green Chromis today. The other fish are doing well.

Aaron :fish:

Your salinity is too low...aim for 1.024-1.026 range. Also, what kind of test kits are you using? Your calcium is really low and the alk and mag numbers make no sense to me. Here's a link to what you water parameters should be - http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Use a well stocked refugium. Plants give off oxygen.

They also release CO2 due to respiration. In the light there is a net uptake of CO2 and release of O2 because of photosynthesis, but in the dark the reverse is true, because respiration continues but photosynthesis doesn't. This is why a heavily planted tank (or one with a lot of nuisance algae) without adequate gas exchange will experience large Ph swings, and why it is often recommended to run a refugium on a reverse light cycle to help stabilize Ph.

Edited by Rascal

I will start with the first question and work my way through.

1) I do not have a sump tank, no glass cover, and 5 Koralia 2(600gph) and 3 Koralia 1 (400gph). I have two of the large Eheim Ecco Canister Filter and an Aqua C Remora Pro Protein Skimmer.

2)I am using the Hagen Test Kit for almost all of my testing. I am using the TetraTest Kik for Oxygen and Red Sea Test Kit for Magnesium.

3)The Alkalinity test is the KH results (I thought Alkalinity and KH were the same thing).

4) I do not have a refugium.

:fish: