Quick & Cheap QT

SeanCallan

Sean, I use an old tank. My new QT setup will be my old 30g frag tank. Painted black on 3 sides and the bottom to minimize reflections. I keep a few small filter sponges in my sump at all times so I've got an established bacteria culture to use in the QT. (Ammonia can be a bear in a newly setup QT tank if you don't do this) I use a small heater (50w), thermometer, and a small powerhead pointed up to circulate water and generate good oxygen exchange. I also have one of those ammonia alert badges just in case. A small CF fixture is used to light the tank, nothing bright too bright as I don't want to startle the fish. Keep lotsa pre-mixed salt water and RO/DI on tap for water changes and salinity adjustments (especially for hypo-salinity if you go that route). That and whatever meds/foods are being used. There is no LR, and no sand in place. There are numerous pieces of cut up PVC in there to give the fish hiding places.

Garrett.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you use the same QT tank for fish & corals?

If you use any copper-based meds to treat fish, you may want to consider separate QT systems for your fish and corals.